Outlook 2019 - Disabling thumbnail preview of JPG attachments RRS feed

• Question

• In each attachment, there used to be a thumbnail showing which program would open the attachment. Now, the icon for photo attachments shows a small preview of the photo image instead. This must eat a ton of resources to generate because it significantly slows down the preview and slows down opening the email. 

Is there any way to:
    1. just show an icon for Windows Photo Viewer (or any other photo program) instead of a small preview of the photo.

2. figure out what program Outlook is using to generate that preview and disallow it, so it stops generating the preview.

3. tell Outlook that JPGs are opened with something simple like Notepad, so there will be no preview to generate.  (I tried to test this by setting Notepad as the default program to open photos, and it shows the Notepad icon for a moment, and then starts generating a preview).

4. tell Outlook to look at a program that would generate the preview faster (I don't know which one that could be).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

• Edited by HeatherLA Monday, November 25, 2019 9:34 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2019 9:24 PM

All replies

• Hi HeatherLA,

This thumbnail preview for picture attachment is available for Outlook 365 and Outlook 2019. This feature aims to help users easily distinguish different attachments if they've receive many pictures in one email.

>>I tried to test this by setting Notepad as the default program to open photos, and it shows the Notepad icon for a moment, and then starts generating a preview

In my opinion, the preview may be generated via Outlook client. I researched a lot but haven’t found related articles regarding which specific components is responsible for this.

Currently, there is no option in Outlook client to disable thumbnail preview. I'd like to recommend you vote this post in Outlook UserVoice forum:

Disable image attachment thumbnail previews

It is a place for customers to provide feedback about Outlook. What’s more, if an idea is highly voted there by other customers, Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, November 28, 2019 8:57 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 2:29 AM
  • If you have further concern on this issue, you can feel free to tell us.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Saturday, November 30, 2019 3:55 AM