"Baked In" Office 2010 - 365 Edition RRS feed

• Question

• We are making a push to move users from Office 2010 w/ MAK licensing to the subscription based Office 2010 that comes with our O365 subscription.

The way we installed Office was with the Office Customization Tool. Since the computer had to be licensed, this wasn't an issue when deploying an image via MDT with Office already installed. Now that we are being licensed per user, is there a way to "bake in" Office 2010 subs into an image in a way that would require a sign in of each individual user that uses one machine?

The scenario would be we have a machine that is designated as a loaner. We hand it out to a user who forgot their machine. They log in, and being that it was a freshly imaged machine, they are prompted to sign in using their O365 credentials when they open Excel. They later return the machine. Then a new user forgets their machine so they come in and pick up that same loaner. When they sign in, will they be asked to sign in with their O365 credentials when trying to access WinWord or will it just open utilizing the previous user's "activation"? Or am I thinking about it all wrong?

Friday, January 30, 2015 9:58 PM

All replies

• Office365ProPlus (if that is available to you under your O365 plan subscription), now offers "Shared Computer Activation", which seems like it would suit your scenario:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn782860(v=office.15).aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, January 31, 2015 5:58 AM
  • For deployment sake I embed Office 2013 in the image and deploy hybrid. I set up the OCT to use KMS and so when the first user opens Word (or any app) they are prompted for credentials. They sign in and Office 2013 is activated.

This activates Office 2013 for all users on that laptop, but beaware Users can deactivate their license from the O365 portal. (each user has 5 devices they can license). This only means that a new user will have to reactivate Office with their credentials. Same scenario really.

Worst comes to worst, the subscription model breaks (it happens from time to time) and you might need a support rep to rerun the subscription logon page which is a 5 minute job.

NN

• Edited by Naked Nuts Monday, February 2, 2015 10:24 AM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 10:22 AM
  • In my opinion and to my knowledge there are two ways to approach this:

1: Install Office 2010 with MAK/KMS and Office 365 may use the login function in Office 2010 for Office 365

2: Incorporate Office 365 (which is currently at a so called wave that it installs Office 2013) so users can make use of Office 365, the suite is licensed to the person the log's in.

The benefit of using the last option, is that you do not need to additionally license Office 2010. Since you need to keep in mind that also non O365 users may use the system, and to my knowledge there is no solution for this when it comes to licensing.

If you want to know how to incorporate Office 365, here's an article I wrote a year ago:

http://renshollanders.nl/2014/02/office-365-automatic-deployment-of-office-365-with-mdt/

Cheers! Rens

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Monday, February 2, 2015 3:03 PM
  • The scenario would be we have a machine that is designated as a loaner. We hand it out to a user who forgot their machine. They log in, and being that it was a freshly imaged machine, they are prompted to sign in using their O365 credentials when they open Excel. They later return the machine. Then a new user forgets their machine so they come in and pick up that same loaner. When they sign in, will they be asked to sign in with their O365 credentials when trying to access WinWord or will it just open utilizing the previous user's "activation"? Or am I thinking about it all wrong?

Basically, the first user who logs in and activates Office uses their subscription (1 of 5). The next user uses the first users as it is already activated.

If the first user leaves and the license gets removed, Office will become de-activated. In which point the next user that gets the prompt has to activate it.

All you need to do is make sure you have all users licensed (at least within the T&Cs) or for "loaners" you use a MAK key to activate Office and not O365.

NN

This doesn't seem like a deployment question, you may need the Office 365 community forum instead to get the answer, and come back if you need advice deploying through MDT.

• Edited by Naked Nuts Monday, February 2, 2015 3:54 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:54 AM
    Monday, February 2, 2015 3:52 PM