none
Problems with forms since IE11: IE11 still does not render a countless number (many!) of web pages correctly ... even with compatibility views set for general use (default) RRS feed

• Question

• It's a real bad problem! The worst is what seems to be ignorance somehow.

This problem has been hanging around since autumn 2011 - that is at least since the public developer preview of Win8 was released.

It has almost created a Chrome user out of me. Not a regular one, but a forced Chrome user - since any web application using forms, i.e. netbanking, e-commerce, public services etc. In 8 of 10 sites - I have to use Chrome.

So today, I just open Chrome - because in IE ... well, if I use IE its like ... oh yeah, why did I bother to open that site in IE. Forms does not work?

I do not understand what it is with the compatibility views and why this can not go under the Hood. But if IE can not be made to work with forms - with all the e-gov coming up around the World. Then do not bother.

Forms has to work. Or IE is out of a job.

BTW A form that does work in IE is Google Search.

Had to write this post - because it is getting really anoying that this problem is not taken care of - and you can keep posting about this problem with forms not working across 80% of web sites ...

But may be it is just me (i.e. my user profile) ... or does IE have a problem with forms? Anybody else?

May be my user profile is just mixed up because of the previews? Anyway, that is speculation. The observations are ... problem with forms in IE is coming to a point where I can start saying "forms does not work in IE".

Just listen to - what that kind of statement would mean to the life of IE if not fixed? So go fix it.

Sunday, October 27, 2013 10:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It would be kind of you to capture a screenshot for further research.

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the screenshots to the publilc folder and share their URLs with us.

I agree with Rob.

In addition, please try the following to check the issue:

1. Reset Internet Explorer settings

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

2. Try to reinstall the IE 11 for a test.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/en-us

Regards,

Blair Deng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:29 AM
  • I have developed an answer for this issue somewhere else meanwhile - in that case a problem with the Akamai Downlad Manager used by Microsoft, i.e. on partner.microsoft.com:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5ec34e3a-659c-4c63-bfd5-e5a1d99bd0cd/akamai?forum=tnfeedback

Quote:

IE>Tools>Compatibility View Settings> ... and Enable for all web sites

The real issue here is that you have disabled compatibility views in IE.

The Download Manager does Work without them. And many other sites does not either.

In effect, Microsoft should not offer users to get incorrectly rendered sites. The point is it is not an option to get a browser that does not work. As the users may perceive it ... It's Microsoft offering users to "check" for compatiblity views - and in addition to this offering users to opt of sending data to Microsoft. But it's not an offfer. IE will stop working for many sites just like in this case.

I do not now how Chrome Works in thsi area - but at least there is not feature in Chrome to get websites that will not work for some reason.

Microsoft should phase out compatibility views ... what a strange user concept. It's like a built in bug fixer that you can opt out of using thus getting tons of bugs including this one.

Make a browser that works - and if browers including Chrome demands such measures today please don't offer to opt out. BTW On the other hand please allow to disable the Junk email filter on Outlook.com - if you use a i.e. pop3 email client (the junk is filtered there and we need to catch unsolicited emails that are not junk - but was junked)

Any way ...

To fix this one ... as aleady stated above ... enabled compatibility views. Tools>Compatibility View Settings>Enable for all web sites (or in Win8.1+ enable Use Microsoft Compatibility Lists)

After the download manger will work ... and lots of other web sites as well.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

when asking a question about the internet and webpage it is helpful if you can include the addresses of any websites that you are having problems with... that way the answerer can visit the page and test it to gleam some reasons why the site is causing a problem.

The first step in troubleshooting IE issues is to test in no addons mode...

The two main causes why IE doesn't work for some pages but other browsers do is

1. Addons

2. Your IE Security zone settings (other browsers do not have the same security model as MSIE browsers)... ensure you are using the default IE security zone settings.. Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"....

some websites use a sub-domain to validate a users login credentials..(commonly online Banking websites). IE has a security zone setting to prevent navigation into a zone of lower integrity. Remove any problem websites from the IE Trusted Sites list. (Security tab of Internet Options)...

Post consumer questions about IE to http://answers.microsoft.com (Help>Online Support menu from IE) or first search the IE Online Help (About>Help menu). Include in your question the full address (copied from the address bar) with your questions.

this forum is for questions about IEAK and GPO administration of IE on domain networks. thx for your understanding.

Rob^_^

Monday, October 28, 2013 12:24 AM
  • Ok, thanks for the reference to potential problems with security zones.

I am still using a daily User Profile from the Win8 previews - reloaded of a Windows Server. So I will normalize that first. Then see what happens. But I have my doubts it will fix the forms and js problems in IE.

Except for that - like others, just gotten tired of posting examples of IE having problems with rendering forms and JavaScript on different sites. No problems with Chrome. But may be it can be addressed to user having profile surviving the Win8 preview test. Who knows ... gotta make sure that is not the case ... But that is also the Paradox ... Google Chrome working better with MS operatins system previews ... than IE. I.e. you need to use Google Chrome when participating in testing Windows. And BTW MSFT is directing Pro IE feedback to this forum (just so you know - it's not received in the WinX previews forums).

(Anyway, no more examples - there are plenty of posts around with IE and forms problems ... but defensive does not help IE ... it just converts users into Chrome users. And it is happening right  now - so if this does not get corrected you may soon be counting some last years of doing the IEAK. Ever tried GPSI for Google Chrome? I have since the Win8 previews ...)

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:09 AM
  • Hi,

It would be kind of you to capture a screenshot for further research.

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the screenshots to the publilc folder and share their URLs with us.

I agree with Rob.

In addition, please try the following to check the issue:

1. Reset Internet Explorer settings

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

2. Try to reinstall the IE 11 for a test.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/en-us

Regards,

Blair Deng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:29 AM
  • I have developed an answer for this issue somewhere else meanwhile - in that case a problem with the Akamai Downlad Manager used by Microsoft, i.e. on partner.microsoft.com:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5ec34e3a-659c-4c63-bfd5-e5a1d99bd0cd/akamai?forum=tnfeedback

Quote:

IE>Tools>Compatibility View Settings> ... and Enable for all web sites

The real issue here is that you have disabled compatibility views in IE.

The Download Manager does Work without them. And many other sites does not either.

In effect, Microsoft should not offer users to get incorrectly rendered sites. The point is it is not an option to get a browser that does not work. As the users may perceive it ... It's Microsoft offering users to "check" for compatiblity views - and in addition to this offering users to opt of sending data to Microsoft. But it's not an offfer. IE will stop working for many sites just like in this case.

I do not now how Chrome Works in thsi area - but at least there is not feature in Chrome to get websites that will not work for some reason.

Microsoft should phase out compatibility views ... what a strange user concept. It's like a built in bug fixer that you can opt out of using thus getting tons of bugs including this one.

Make a browser that works - and if browers including Chrome demands such measures today please don't offer to opt out. BTW On the other hand please allow to disable the Junk email filter on Outlook.com - if you use a i.e. pop3 email client (the junk is filtered there and we need to catch unsolicited emails that are not junk - but was junked)

Any way ...

To fix this one ... as aleady stated above ... enabled compatibility views. Tools>Compatibility View Settings>Enable for all web sites (or in Win8.1+ enable Use Microsoft Compatibility Lists)

After the download manger will work ... and lots of other web sites as well.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 4:53 PM
  • I'm literally appalled when I read posts FROM MICROSOFT TECHS on this forum! No way in HELL anyone in their right mind is going to go through what you need to do to reinstall internet explorer (embedded in the OS, right?) to fix something we all know it's not going to fix!!! IT's a damn cop-out! The problem is you guys over there at Microsoft have been passing the buck for so damn long, you haven't even noticed that years ago, the general public has become pretty darn computer literate, and that crap just doesn't fly anymore. There are better products out there...and guess what? Everyone is using them!!

I have a simple paypal button (form) on basic html website that has been there forever...the code hasn't changed. It still works fine in FF and Chrome, but hasn't worked I IE since before version 10. So, my 78 year old father who doesn't have the energy to deal with the technical stuff and ONLY has IE on his machine, I have to EMAIL him a paypal link.

You guys suck, totally. These things should have been fixed AGES AGO, like the original poster said. So stop passing the buck, AND FIX IT!

Donna Sander Consultant, EIT www.every-thing-it.com

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:00 AM
  • ...disabled compatibility views my ass. In red??? Come on! Oooo, you burn me up!

Donna Sander Consultant, EIT www.every-thing-it.com

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:00 AM
  • the general public has become pretty darn computer literate,

In the case of IE11 it has swung the other way.  Host sites can no longer make IE users see old views without someone taking some action that makes it more apparent where the change needs to come from to get the most modern view with the best performance.  Meanwhile users can try using an emulation or notify Microsoft about problem sites, so they can be given some persistent automatic emulation overrides. 

http://www.modern.ie/en-us/compat-issue-report

Note that in order to use that service, and overrides which are already known, you must allow the Microsoft compatibility list to be loaded and used.

I have a simple paypal button (form) on basic html website that has been there forever...the code hasn't changed.

Then use the modern.ie site to figure out why it doesn't work with IE11's default User-Agent string or post the URL and ask for help about it.

Inspection of  IECompatData.xml would suggest that for paypal.com references you should be forcing either IE10 for a User-Agent string or (perhaps) 10 for a Document mode override on the default UAS.

<domain docMode="EmulateIE10" versionVector="10" uaString="IE 10">paypal.com</domain>

That is the only find for paypal that I got in that file (at this time.)

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:25 PM
    Answerer
  • I am in complete agreement. Word for word.  In fact I had to even switch to Chrome to vote because IE11 came back with an "Unspecified Error".  (Even if that error was a problem on my end, you have to admire the irony)  

The bottom line is that whenever IE11 has trouble with a webpage, I can count on Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or Safari even, to display and submit webpage forms properly, EVERY TIME.  In fact I have never had a case where I IE11 worked when another browser didn't. 

Issues like this really give Microsoft a "we embody the antithesis of intelligent design and flawless execution" type of image.  

Point being: Microsoft is perfectly capable of creating a web browser that works, but they choose not to.  And if that isnt true, then please give us a real solution to the problem that isnt the usual progression of "clear temp folder, reset all IE settings, make sure your drivers are updated, reinstall ie11, run an antivirus, reinstall windows, buy a new computer, etc., etc."

So plese, a real fix?  BTW, I had issues submitting form data on oreillyauto.com, fixya.com, voting on this site, and countless other sites since I "updated" to IE11 from IE9.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:08 PM