User Profile Service Failed to Load... I couldn't find my specific issue in the forums... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Windows 7 Community!!!

So, I'll dive right in and explain my issue.

I have Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit Service Pack 1 on a Dell Vostro 200.

The issue initially occurred in a Active Directory environment, but have removed the computer from the Domain to try and resolve the issue.

So, here is the issue in more detail.

While part of the Domain, I could login on some accounts, but not on others, so I thought the issue could be resolved by going through the process outlined in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215.

This did not resolve the issue.

So I then removed the computer from the Domain to remove the affected profiles from the registry. I even went into the Registry and personally removed all of the profiles that were affected from the registry, after exporting the registry key of course.

Before removing the computer from the Domain, I had to create a local administrative login because it was easier than trying to find out the local Administrator account password. I inherited this network from another admin! ;-{)

So after rebooting, I then try to login to the newly created administrative account and get the same error message. I reboot again and go into Safe Mode w/Networking. I was then able to login to the local administrative account I created.

I have not logged back out and try to login in Normal Mode, yet, but I will do that as soon as I post this and then I'll update this posting with the results.

In advance of any assistance anyone may provide, I thank you all!

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This typically happens when the default profile, stored in C:\Users\Default, has incorrect permissions or is corrupt in some way.

Right click the C:\users, under Security tab, make sure that SYSTEM and Admninistrators have full control, while Users and Everyone have read permissions.

Then, check the event log under "Applications and services logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> User profile service":

If NTUSER.DAT does not exist the user profile service logs an event with ID 1500 and source User Profile Service.

If, on the other hand, NTUSER.DAT is corrupt the user profile service logs an event with ID 1508 and source User Profile Service.

The easiest way to fix a corrupt default profile is to delete the content of C:\Users\Default and copy it from a working system. Make sure, though, that the machine you copy from has the same operating system version and language.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This typically happens when the default profile, stored in C:\Users\Default, has incorrect permissions or is corrupt in some way.

Right click the C:\users, under Security tab, make sure that SYSTEM and Admninistrators have full control, while Users and Everyone have read permissions.

Then, check the event log under "Applications and services logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> User profile service":

If NTUSER.DAT does not exist the user profile service logs an event with ID 1500 and source User Profile Service.

If, on the other hand, NTUSER.DAT is corrupt the user profile service logs an event with ID 1508 and source User Profile Service.

The easiest way to fix a corrupt default profile is to delete the content of C:\Users\Default and copy it from a working system. Make sure, though, that the machine you copy from has the same operating system version and language.

Kate Li

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions?

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Kate Li

Friday, October 3, 2014 1:56 AM
  • Hi, Kate.

I apologize for not responding sooner. I work at a non-profit, so I wear many more hats than just the "IT Guy"! ;-{)

No, that did not resolve my issue. I copied the entire contents of the Default folder, subfolders etc... No resolution. I am able to login in on my domain account and a couple other domain accounts, but I can't login on other domain accounts and get the standard error message of "User Profile Service failed load..."

At this point, I'm thinking the easiest resolution will be to re-install the OS. That's what I had to do on another computer, but that was my only option, given the short resolution time frame I had for that one. I have now put more time into this issue than I would have liked and I'm going to just get this out of my beard I'm bald by the way! ;-{)

In any case, I thank you again, Kate, for your time and efforts regarding this issue.

John

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 7:31 PM