O365 user keeps getting error when forwarding mails or replying RRS feed

• Question

• One of our customers keeps getting a "De clientbewerking is mislukt" error (Dutch language), which should translate to "The operation failed." when forwarding e-mails from Outlook. Sometimes it it also happens when replying to an e-mail (seems to be random with replying, but always with forwarding messages). He works on a RDS server, no one else working on this RDS server has this problem.

After searching google it seems this problem should be a Outlook2010 related problem, but this user uses Office365. I've tried all the possible solutions I could find:

- Fill in the recipients's e-mailaddress by hand instead of autofill / remove recipients from autofill

- Make sure there are no special characters in the receiver's e-mailaddress.

- Make sure the users has rights to the mailbox sending from (problem also occurs with mails from his own inbox)

- Create a new mail profile

- Try webmail / portal.office.com --> Here forwarding and replying works fine.

The only thing I can think of is reinstalling office, but it's a RDS server with many more people working on it.

EDIT: 2nd customer just reported the same type of problems.

Friday, August 2, 2019 10:10 AM

All replies

• Due to disrupted Exchange Online services?

https://admin.microsoft.com/AdminPortal/Home#/servicehealth

Friday, August 2, 2019 10:26 AM
  • Hi Marc van Renssen,

What’s the detailed version of Office 365? I haven’t reproduced this issue on Office 365 version 1907(Build 11901.20156). Please install available updates for Office to see if it helps.

Have you tested with another account? 

For Exchange account, do you have cached Exchange mode enabled?

I don’t have permission to open the link above. If possible, you may share the details here.

Besides, we can also check if it lies on any add-ins. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and then press Enter.

If issue persists, we could try creating a new profile on one problematic client in case there is something wrong with the profile.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, August 5, 2019 6:09 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:44 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, August 7, 2019 11:23 AM
    Monday, August 5, 2019 2:50 AM
  • Hi Marc van Renssen,

Can user forward emails successfully? You can feel free to post back if there are any updates.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:45 AM
  • I work for a service provider and the last few days we have lots of users with this issue.

Users get 'clientbewerking mislukt' when forwarding e-mail that contains .PDF attachment.

Repair / reinstall / new profile it all doesn't help.

So far we have no solution yet.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 12:46 PM
  • Also a (Dutch) service provider. Same issues last 2 weeks with multiple clients. Can not find related/identical articles or known issues related with recent updates.

Identical points:

• Outlook 2016 fully updated (Office ProPlus Click-and-Run / Volume License)
    • RDS Server - In our case means caching disabled in Outlook
    • No issue on local Office 2016 installations - Caching enabled
    • Office365 mailboxes
    • New/reply/forward mail is directly saved as Draft. Error 'clientbewerking is mislukt'/'operation failed' visible after [Send].
    • Going back to the Draft and changing a character (a "." or any other character) and clicking [Send] -> no error and message is send.

Workaround, but definitely should be changed back after a future fix/definite solution:

1. In Outlook, select the “File” menu, then choose “Options“.
    2. Select “Mail” on the left pane.
    3. Uncheck the “Automatically save items that have not been sent after this many minutes:” box to disable saving to the Drafts folder.
      Outlook 2013 Draft save setting

Note: This will not have any bearing on the prompt to save your changes that appears when you close a message you are working on.

This can also be set by a GPO on RDS server ofcourse.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 2:01 PM
  • Same problem here also in NL, with Dutch Outlook.

We have found the following workaround;

Remove the user's signature from Outlook and re-add the same signature (from a previous send message) resolves the problem for now.

Edit: The problem occurs only when Outlook is configured with Caching Disabled, which is default on RDS installations. For stand alone clients with Caching Enalbed no problems occur.

• Edited by gsinnema Wednesday, August 7, 2019 7:02 AM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 3:01 PM
  • Just to chime in; another business in the Netherlands seeing the same problem lately with our users:
    Outlook 2013 in online mode (RDS), connecting to 365 mailboxes
    Users are getting "De clientbewerking is mislukt" after e-mail is saved to drafts folder.

Seems completely random for us so far.
    Attachment or signature with image seemed to trigger it but can compose the same e-mail 15 minutes later, save it and nonetheless send without a hiccup.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 8:29 AM
  • Same problem here also in NL, with Dutch Outlook.

We have found the following workaround;

Remove the user's signature from Outlook and re-add the same signature (from a previous send message) resolves the problem for now.

Edit: The problem occurs only when Outlook is configured with Caching Disabled, which is default on RDS installations. For stand alone clients with Caching Enalbed no problems occur.

offtopic: Just FYI according to Microsoft documentation.

RDS best practice is cache mode enabled.

desktop/laptop best practice is cache mode disabled (online mode enabled).

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, August 9, 2019 6:48 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:17 AM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2019 8:57 AM
  • See this thread :    answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/outlook-operation-failed/4b7cbac8-133d-4571-a3d8-29167c919e18?page=4

Seems be related to this :

#

EX186990 - Can't forward emails using Outlook desktop client

Update : 2019-08-07 02:58 (UTC) Start : 2019-08-01 03:03 (UTC)

Degradation of the service Impact sur les utilisateurs:Users may be unable to forward some emails using the Outlook desktop client.

Dernier message:Title: Can't forward emails using Outlook desktop client

User Impact: Users may be unable to forward some emails using the Outlook desktop client. More info: This issue only affects email forwarding. Users experiencing the problem will receive an "operation failed" error when attempting to forward emails. Mail send/receive is unaffected.

While we're focused on resolving the issue, users may be able to leverage Outlook on the web to forward emails.

Current status: We've been unable to identify the cause of this issue with the previously gathered information. If your users are experiencing this problem, we request that your representatives reach out to us to help gather additional data for our investigation.

Scope of impact: For affected customers, impact is specific to users attempting to forward mail through the Outlook desktop client.

Next update by: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, at 7:30 PM UTC

#

workaround :

1) Rich Text format rather than HTML mail

or

2) pass in Exchange Cache mode (no online mode)

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, August 7, 2019 11:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, August 8, 2019 5:39 AM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2019 10:28 AM
  • Looks like the issue we are dealing with alright.The start date is August 1st, but this wasn't visible in the dashboard yesterday August 6th.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 11:11 AM
  • Hi All, I've seen similar reports recently. Would you mind sharing the detailed version information of both Outlook client and Exchange server here

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, August 8, 2019 5:49 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 5:38 AM
  • I'm investigating a issue with one client who has issue this issue. The customer told us the has this issue since 2nd of August. They are using Office 365 build number16.0.11328.20368. I tried to forward an email without a HTML signature and it only works with plain text and a PDF attachment. When the email has a HTML markup in it, then it gives me the same "De clientbewerking is mislukt" error with a PDF attachment.

They only have an Outlook 365 account. They are working on a Citrix Xenapp 6.5 and Windows 2008 R2 standard.

What has changed from August 1st in Outlook 365? The Build is from 9th of July. 

• Edited by AntonyMo Thursday, August 8, 2019 6:33 AM
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 6:20 AM
  • Currently, I haven't reproduced this issue on my Outlook Version 1907 (11901.20176). If you are using a previous version, we can first upgrade Office to test the results.

I also find that the action to trigger this error differs between users. I collected information reported in several threads:

• Forward/Reply emails with signature
    • Happen with HTML format
    • Using Online mode
    • Emails from external contacts
    • With large number of recipients

I also checked the release note of Office 365 but didn’t find related information yet.

As a workaround, please use cached exchange mode currently. If anyone has found anything, you can also feel free to share it here.

Regards,

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, August 9, 2019 6:48 AM
    Friday, August 9, 2019 6:47 AM
  • In the ticket EX186990 - Can't forward emails using Outlook desktop client stated that this issue is resolved and what the root cause is:

tart time: Wednesday, July 31, 2019, at 9:41 AM UTC

End time: Wednesday, August 7, 2019, at 10:30 PM UTC

Root cause: A recent code change that was intended to improve performance and minimize crashes inadvertently resulted in the inability to forward or reply to some emails.

Next steps:
    - We're working to identify the content in the previous update that led to this problem.
    - Once identified, we'll address the code issue to ensure that no further impact arises when this update is re-introduced to the environment.

This is the final update for the event.

I also ask the customer to test if the issues has been resolved. He told me his issue is resolved.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:17 AM
    Friday, August 9, 2019 7:48 AM
  • Thanks AntonyMo for sharing the update here. This information will definitely benefit other users a lot!

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 6:17 AM
  • We are having the same issue.  I fortunately found the commands to downgrade from another forum post (sorry dont remember where so I cant credit the person that found it) and we run this script for when our users get updated and get this issue.  This is super annoying and hope its fixed soon.

Here is the contents of it in case someone else wants to create a batch file off of it.

@echo off

cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun
    officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.11727.20244

Also, I can confirm that the cached mode set to one week works also, but its a pain as I get my emails on my phone a good 30-60 seconds faster than I do in outlook.

Hope that a fix for this is coming soon.

James

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:44 PM
  • I 'm using outlook online, outlook 2010 client, mail app on android.

Reply/forward was working just before I changed my password and turned off 2 factor authentication.

2FA was preventing me from using outlook 2010 after I changed my password.

After making those two changes, I could no longer reply or forward emails both online, outlook 2010 and my phone app. 

I can send and receive emails.

Patrick

• Edited by gudtogo21 Saturday, November 16, 2019 9:56 PM
    Saturday, November 16, 2019 9:55 PM