ThinPC with File Based Write Filter RRS feed

• Question

• I am deploying some desktop PCs using ThinPC (Windows Embedded Standard) with the File Based Write Filter.  Most machines will be true "Thin Clients" but I want USB access enabled on a couple of machines.

I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on the selected machines so as to enable scanning for viruses as USB devices are used.

Running with protection turned on I received a "Code 80508007" error when running Windows Update to instal a MSE definitions update.  Are there any File Based Write Filter exceptions that I should code to enable security updates to be applied while logged on in protected mode as a standard user (not as an Administrator)?

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:31 AM

All replies

• Chas,

The licensing of Microsoft Security Essentials does not support its use on ThinPC. This configuration has not been tested, nor is it supported. Forefront Endpoint Protection / System Center Endpoint Protection does support ThinPC.  The Windows Embedded Device Manager add on to Config Manager allows you to use Write Filters with Endpoint Protection. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh535744.aspx for more information.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:49 AM