Need help with deploying Quickbooks Accountant 2009 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We were using Novells Zenworks but recently migrated to Microsoft Active Directory for management of our computer labs.  We are trying to use Vapp 4.5sp2 with SCCM 2007 to deploy virtual application to lab computers.  The first app that we needed to do this with is Quickbooks Premier Accountant 2009.  I have been struggling to get the virtual app to run on a test workstation.  I sequenced the application on a base XPsp3 workstation; imported the application into SCCM as a virtual application; advertised it to the workstation.  The application is completely downloaded to the workstation and I can run the shortcut on the desktop but the application "startup" window appears for a little while but then disappears.  I check the virtual application client and it says the application is running.  I check task manager and the QBW32.EXE process is loaded and running but the application never appears.  I have checked the CCM and Event Viewer logs for any error message but nothing apppears to have an error.  I have found a couple of "recipes" for Quickbooks 7 and Quickbooks Enterprise 9 but these didn't help.  Is there any troubleshooting tools, logs, documents that might help me to find the issue with this application?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Steve

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I tried to delete the file that stores the licensing file but still would not work.  We ran out of time so I had to remote into each computer and install manually.  I am still working on learning App-V and SCCM so next time I will know what to do.  Thanks for the responses and the help.

Steve

• Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, November 14, 2010 4:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:35 PM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 7:12 PM

All replies

• Take SCCM out of the equation until you get the application working - test the app on a single workstation. Here's an article on where to start troubleshooting: http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/troubleshoot-with-the-app-v-client-log/
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:24 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

We were hoping that we wouldn't need the vapp streaming server but maybe I will have to build one for testing purposes.

Steve

Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:14 PM
  • Hello,

Not really sure why Aarons message would indicate that you need a streaming server - its a guide to assist in troubleshooting the client and sequenced packages?

His recommendation also state that you use a standalone single workstation to do your testing...

/Znack
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:39 AM
  • [I completely agree about testing using the stand-alone client]

QuickBooks includes a file when installed associated with licensing that will prevent the app from running on another PC.  The trick with QuickBooks is to locate and remove the file.

When the app is now run on another PC, the user will be prompted for licensing and the information may be entered then.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

I tried to delete the file that stores the licensing file but still would not work.  We ran out of time so I had to remote into each computer and install manually.  I am still working on learning App-V and SCCM so next time I will know what to do.  Thanks for the responses and the help.

Steve

• Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, November 14, 2010 4:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:35 PM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 7:12 PM