none
Project Server 2010 - a single user cannot login RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I am having problems with Project Server 2010 installation. I have successfully installed sharepoint, and added a PWA instance (being a complete beginner, very proud of that :D). For now, there are a few users, 1 project manager, 1 executive, and three team members. There is one test project added, and resources are assigned.

All of the users are able to connect to PWA with their domain accounts, and are enabled to use Project 2010. Everything worked ok, until one of the team members, who hasn't accessed before tried to login to pwa, and got the "Access Denied" message, which tells me that the login went ok, but some permissions are not right. I've googled around, and found hints to check the site permissions, and add the user into Team member group if he wasn't already there. Done that, no change. Other people seemed to have problems accessing only PWA, however, she has problems accessing from Project 2010, too.

I suspected it was something of a machine/OS issue (windows xp sp3), so I tried from my own machine, where everything works. Got the same result, and Project 2010 returned "Could not retrieve server initialization data". I restart Project, login as my own user, and everything works fine.

Help? :(

Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:09 AM

Answers

• Well, seems it is going for the better.

I had to add each individual user to the sharepoint central administration user policy for the PWA, and assign Full Control. Also, I granted user individual permissions in the PWA, and adjusted permissions for the team member group. So far, my own account has access to the projects, and can add issues and risks. Hopefully, soon everything else will be okay too.

Thanks to bubu7te for directions and help.

• Marked as answer by Raptus Monday, August 30, 2010 10:39 AM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 10:39 AM

All replies

• HI!

How do you give permissions to the user?

Trhrough 'Server Settings'->'Manage Groups' or 'Site Actions'->'Site permissions'?

Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:22 AM
  • At first, I added permissions by user (server settings -> manage users). I soon realized (and read) that using groups is a better way, so I added the forementioned user to a Team member group via server settings->manage users.

After that, since nothing changed, I googled some more, went to Site actions->site permissions, and added the user into Team members group(Microsoft Project Server). Still nothing :(

Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:29 AM
  • MMMhhh... check if the Team Member group has the permission to log on:

Server Settings -> Manage Groups -> Team Members -> Global Permissions -> General -> Log On

Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:49 PM
  • Yes, both "Log on" and "Log on to Project Server from Project Professional" are checked.

Update: I was required to add some issues and risks to the existing project, and my own account got the "access denied" in the issues. I assigned myself permissions based on the "administrator" template, and still got no change. Is it possible that I made a configuration error on a deeper level?

Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Look in Event Viewer of the server what's the problem EXACTLY.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:18 PM
  • I did look, there are no errors even mentioning anything similar. Well, with a risk of sounding stupid, there is quite number of warnings from unified logging service (event id 2160), which are suppressed, but some of the other events do come through. Could you hint me in more detail where to look (or maybe what can I do with this service problem)?

Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Don't mind...

Does the user have a category assigned to it?

If you look at user properties, it must have at least a group (team members) and a category (for example, my tasks) assigned.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:18 PM
  • No, she didn't have. I've assigned her a My Tasks category, and a Team member group, nothing. I've assigned her all the categories, and all the groups, nothing.

I tried creating a new user. At first, with no security groups assigned, he wasn't able to log in, but afterwards, when I added My Tasks category, he was ok. So, I suppose it works properly.

I thought of deleting her user, and creating a new one, but I can't delete it, since it has already been assigned as a resource on a project.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:34 PM
  • Here are a few updates on the topic.

I got a green light to delete everything and start all over again. I uninstalled Project Server, uninstalled Sharepoint, and deleted all the databases from the SQL server. I also manually deleted a few leftover files in the Web server extension directory. That should be sufficient to serve as a fresh start, shouldn't it?

So, I installed Sharepoint again, it went flawlessly. I installed PrjSrv again, no trouble there again. I added all the users from the Active Directory,one by one, went straight to assigning them to groups. Now, NOBODY could log on, either PWA or Project 2010. No matter what permissions I gave the account.

For the purpose of testing, I create a new AD user. I add him to the PWA, the same way I did with the others, and he successfully logs on! Both PWA and PP2010!

Hooray, I say. I delete my own account, add it again. It succeeds. I add the Project manager. She logs in, adds a project. It works. What joy!

Then, I delete, and add the CEO again. He is supposed to have a full view of everything, so I add him to Executives group. Access denied. Delete, retry. Access denied. Delete, retry, add the same way as a normal Team member. Access denied.

Now, if my CEO can't log on to this, he won't be too happy :) Please, any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Update: ok, got the CEO to login by manually adding him Full control in the Site settings of PWA, however, no possibility to view any Project details.

Update2: I changed CEO's groups to executive, saved, and now the account cannot login again :) great!

Monday, August 30, 2010 9:41 AM
  • Well, seems it is going for the better.

I had to add each individual user to the sharepoint central administration user policy for the PWA, and assign Full Control. Also, I granted user individual permissions in the PWA, and adjusted permissions for the team member group. So far, my own account has access to the projects, and can add issues and risks. Hopefully, soon everything else will be okay too.

Thanks to bubu7te for directions and help.

• Marked as answer by Raptus Monday, August 30, 2010 10:39 AM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 10:39 AM