none
How to remotely confirm the undoing of redirected folders worked

Question

• I'm undoing folder redirection of multiple folders, but is there a way I can remotely confirm the data is going back or pointing to the local profile, without having to interrupt the users?  Like a script or something I can run against certain machines to confirm it worked correctly?
    Thursday, March 09, 2017 1:21 AM

All replies

• Hi RJO22,

If you are doing the Undo Folder Redirection, I suggest you may follow steps discussed in  the thread to do a reference.

Revert Folder Redirection Woes
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/325011e1-20c5-44f5-8c0c-ae113227691f/revert-folder-redirection-woes?forum=winserverGP

In general, if you need to confirm whether the gpo is applied. You may need to use gpresult. For example,

gpresult /Scope User /v

And as far as I know, after a Folder Redirection GPO is applied to a user profile, those Group Policy settings are retained locally on the user's computer. Group Policy settings are changed only when a new or modified GPO is applied to the user or computer. Also, all users who are affected by your GPO modification must log off and back on to any computers where they have logged on before the changes are applied.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 09, 2017 6:31 AM
  • Thanks, I couldn't think of anything other than gpresult either.

But the article you linked to says the following in it: "You can force the folders to revert back to the local profile by setting the target location value to "Redirect to the local userprofile location" and enable "Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when the policy is removed" setting"

I thought to properly undo it you set it to redirect back, then set it to not configured.  Wouldn't changing it as suggested above break where it's pointing to now so users wouldn't have access to any of their files on the server where it's currently pointing to, and no local copy of them because the policy isn't truly being removed?

Thursday, March 09, 2017 4:01 PM
  • Hi RJO22,

Based on my understanding, that should work after the user  next log on.

Best Regards,

Mary

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, March 11, 2017 5:54 AM
  • OK thanks.  I just re-read the post you linked to, and that person did NOT want to maintain the data where it is currently redirected, which is the opposite of what I need, I want to retain the data for the users.  So sounds like I need to make sure "redirect to the local user profile location" is enabled then just set it back to "not configured".
    Sunday, March 12, 2017 6:01 PM
  • Hi RJO22,

You may need to enable it.

When you enable the Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when policy is removed policy it will stop redirecting the local folder to the network location and copies everything back to original location where it was before redirection.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/de21d8d3-4465-4228-bf7e-d50e11e6747c/stopping-folder-redirection-return-to-local?forum=winserverGP

Best Regards,

Mary

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:07 AM
  • Your response is not clear.  Are you saying I need to change it from Basic (Redirect everyone's folder to the same location) with the network path as the path, to have the path be "Redirect to local user profile path"  then i still need the Policy Removal Behavior to be "Restore contents".   So then that will force everything back to the local c:\users default location, then later I can set it to Not Configured?

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:49 PM
  • Hi RJO22,

You could enable group policy "Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when policy is removed".

After enabling this group policy,  the profiles will be copied to the local machine

Here is the more explanation about this policy enable/disable. You could take a look.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732275(v=ws.11).aspx

The KB explains how to stop folder direction.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/888203/how-to-stop-folder-redirection-in-windows-server-2003-and-in-windows-2000-server

Best Regards,

Mary

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:02 AM
  • That didn't actually work in real life, I had to change the Basic redirection to go to the local profile with redirect back turned on.
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:29 PM