Outlook compatibility, elevation, search RRS feed

• Question

• My employer has finally upgraded me from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Issue:  the default Outlook 2016 notification pop-up that appears in the lower right corner when new mail is received no longer displays the instant one-click Delete, etc. options that were provided on the Outlook 2010 new mail notification pop-up

Partial solution:  the Windows 10 “Troubleshoot compatibility” option restored the Outlook 2010 style new mail notification pop-up

Problem:  Search within Outlook displays the following errors:

“Instant Search is not available when Outlook is running with Administrator permissions.”

“Search performance will be impacted because the Windows Search service is turned off in elevated mode.”

FWIW, Services shows that Windows Search is turned on, and I am NOT manually running Outlook with Administrator permissions, however it seems that “Troubleshoot compatibility” set that somewhere not visible (Outlook Properties > Shortcut > Advanced Properties > Run as administrator is unchecked), because Task Manager shows Elevated=Yes for OUTLOOK.EXE

Is there any way to resolve this seeming mutual-exclusion between Outlook Search and Admin / elevated / the Outlook 2010 style new mail notification pop-up ?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 12:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to the error “Instant Search is not available when Outlook is running with Administrator permissions.”, please check this thread as reference:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-outlook/instant-search-is-not-available-when-outlook-is/84277d5e-9ccf-4c22-aff2-737a9c53d25f 

To fix the issue “Search performance will be impacted because the Windows Search service is turned off in elevated mode.”, please turn to the "properties" of the Windows Search service, and then check "Allow service to interact with desktop" under the "login" tab.

For further help, I suggest you submit a new case on Outlook forum as they will be more professional on your issue:

This is the Outlook forum link:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=outlook

Hope these can help you. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by cloris_sun Friday, April 12, 2019 9:32 AM
    Thursday, April 4, 2019 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 12, 2019 9:32 AM
  • Sorry, for some reason I was just notified this morning of your April 4th response.

And thank you for responding, but no, unfortunately your suggestion did not resolve my issue.  Outlook is still displaying “Instant Search is not available when Outlook is running with Administrator permissions”, and more importantly still providing incorrect search results. (Although I haven't seen, yet, the re-occurrence of “Search performance will be impacted because the Windows Search service is turned off in elevated mode”).

I will submit a new case on the Outlook forum - thanks again.

Friday, April 12, 2019 4:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your replying!

If your issue solved,  would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly?

Meanwhile, please remember to mark the helpful reply as an answer.

If you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Monday, April 15, 2019 3:29 AM