none
Microsoft data protection manager DPM 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• HI Team

i hope you're doing well. 

My name is fajar. Currently we have plan to extend our storage in dpm server but we have got information from our colleague that DPM only support maks 300 user, is it correct?

if its correct it will be big issue to us because we have employee more than 1000.

Thank you very much

fajar

Friday, August 3, 2018 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Each DPM 2016 with Modern Backup Storage (MBS) can protect up to 3000 client computers.

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Monday, August 6, 2018 5:48 AM
  • HI Matej

Thank you for your explanation. i will take a look the server and sorry but i have another question, how many machine can cover for DPM 2012 ?

thank you

Monday, August 6, 2018 6:44 AM
  • DPM 2012 has a limit of 300. 

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Monday, August 6, 2018 8:50 AM
  • HI Matej

okay thank you for your information. Regarding DPM 2016 what is the benefit if using MBS rathen than VHD attached storage because attached storage is more familiar for us

thank you

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 2:45 AM
  • Hi Fajar,

Some of the main benefits of using MBS are the following:

• Up to 30-40% savings in storage.
    • Ability to configure workloads for storage on different volumes.
    • Backups that are 70% faster with MBS (Modern Backup Storage).
    • Backup storage inline with the production data source.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:49 PM
  • HI Leon

thank you very much. i will check it

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 4:01 AM
  • Hi,

If your DPM server is a Virtual Machine you can still use VHD attached storage, that didn't changed. Modern Backup Storage (MBS) is new feature in DPM 2016, and you cannot use anything else if you have new DPM installation on a Windows Server 2016. If you are migrating from DPM 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2 you can still use legacy disk storage, but it's highly recommended to migrate to MBS. 

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 5:39 AM