none
App-V 5.0 Recipe: Google Chrome Enterprise v37

General discussion

• Sorry for the format here, but I wanted to get this out ASAP to help the requester.

Create a cmd file using the code below:

START /WAIT C:\Temp\GoogleChromeStandaloneEnterprise.MSI ALLUSERS=TRUE /QB-
    RD /Q /S "%ProgramFiles%\Google\Chrome\Application\37.0.2062.120\Installer"
    ROBOCOPY "%ProgramFiles%\Google\Chrome\Application\37.0.2062.120" "%ProgramFiles%\Google\Chrome\Application" /mov /e
    COPY C:\Temp\master_preferences "%ProgramFiles%\Google\Chrome\Application\master_preferences
    COPY "C:\Temp\First Run" "%ProgramFiles%\Google\Chrome\Application\First Run"
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Update /v AutoUpdateCheckPeriodMinutes /d 0 /t REG_SZ /f
    REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" /v PendingFileRenameOperations /d "" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /f

This will be used now and going forward whenever you need to sequence a new version of Chrome.  You will just need to change the version number to match that of the version of Google Chrome Enterprise you download.

Note:  This script assumes that you have a master_preferences and First Run file you are using, which you will copy into the C:\Temp directory on your sequencer. 

Also, normally I install into a dummy PVAD, but for Chrome I install into the PVAD:

Primary Virtual Application Directory:  C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome

Do not run the application during sequencing, you want it to stream fault.   I also checked all three Advanced options (on the Advanced tab).

Friday, September 12, 2014 10:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Cody,

I followed exactly the way you suggested. But sequenced application dint work and gave me the same error.

I am actually sequencing the application using App-V sequencer 4.6 SP3. Would it be an issue?

Monday, September 15, 2014 7:40 AM
  • Chrome 37 has issues with app-v 4.6 SP3.  You can actually get it to work for the most part by adding the following switch to the shortcut when sequencing:
    --disable-direct-write

This will get rid of the whole Ah Snap issue for every web page. There is another issue for App-V 4.6 though, printing from within Chrome will not work.  This actually isn't an App-V issue though, it is a Chrome sandbox issue that basically causes any computer that has the %TMP% not on the same drive that Chrome is run from to be unable to print.  Since any version of App-V below 5 requires you to run the apps from the virtual mount i.e. the Q drive, obviously Chrome will be launched from a different drive than %TMP% is on, thus causing the issue of being unable to print.  That is, without using the --no-sandbox switch, but that really isn't an acceptable solution.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 11:53 PM
  • Hello there,

How do you solve the problem with Flash if you publish this app-v in CItrix XenApp 6.5?

Some suggestions on the internet say to put this in the shortcut.

chrome.exe --disable-bundled-ppapi-flash

Regards,

DN

Thursday, October 9, 2014 8:20 PM
  • Nordic,

How did you track down the solution to your issue with Chrome 37 & AppV 4.6 SP3 to adding that switch to the Chrome shortcut?  I've been have a devil of a time with Chrome since 37 and now the latest version of Opera (ver 25) which is built on Chromium.  I eager to give that switch a shot on both now.  Thanks!

Scott

Monday, November 17, 2014 4:04 PM