Custom filter in PPS Dashboard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I would appreciate your help with my situation.

I am supposed to create a dashboard with filtered content for two types of users. The dashboard contains scorecard and a couple of another components. What is important, there should be a filter with dimension members (e.g. regional units) ... given that the components are based on OLAP cube data.

Common user is not allowed to select filter items - page must show only data for their relevant regional unit.

Power user has the option to filter the data, i.e. select regional unit from filter list.

Could somebody give me a clue how this can be developed?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, November 1, 2010 8:03 AM

Answers

• I am quite sure you would not need a custom filter to do that.

There are 2 ways that I can think of:

1. To apply dimensional security at SSAS level. Everything here:

http://nickbarclay.blogspot.com/2008/01/pps-data-connection-security-with.html

2. To add tricky logic at cube and dashboard filter level to show data as per context of logged in user.

You must know that going for 1 would remove the elements from every report/chart to which the user has no rights. Meaning your reports would show total 100 even though on report sum would show 60 (40 is part where user has no rights).

Going for 1 would require you to change dimensions in your SSAS solution by appending some unique attribute like login id or account id. But by this approach you would view the complete data.

I have implemented both and would be glad to assist you depending on which approach you opt for.

My scenario was: 2 types of user Executives and Buyers. Executives can view all data. Buyers can only view their items. Moreover the totals in reports especially decomposition tree should not have gaps (previously left by dimensional security).

http://dailyitsolutions.blogspot.com/
    • Proposed as answer by JanakaV Monday, November 1, 2010 2:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Heidi Tr - MSFT Monday, November 1, 2010 6:36 PM
    Monday, November 1, 2010 11:16 AM