INFORMATION RIGHTS MANAGEMENT RRS feed

• Question

• Why do I need IRM to open documents that I created on my computer?

Why do I need IRM to open documents that I created on my computer?  I have a file that I accessed a couple of years ago.  Now I can't open it because it's telling me I don't have the rights to it.  It's my file on my computer.  How can I not have the right to something I created.

Also, when I try to get access with a trial period of IRM, it tells me that the system is down and try later.  Well, I've been trying for days not to get access to the trial period to open my own file and I can't get access.  

Can someone please tell me how to fix this? 

Sunday, September 22, 2013 12:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How do you know it need IRM to open? Could you let us know the exact prompt message?

According to your descriptio, this document might be protected by IRM. It also might be restricted by user permission.

If permissison for a file has been restricted by using IRM, the access and usage restrictions are enforced regardless of where the information is,  because the permisson to a file is stored in the document file itself.

What's the version of your Word? What's your operating system? Is this document created by yourself?

Meanwhile, you could refer to the following articles:

Information Rights Management in Office 2010

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/word-help/information-rights-management-in-office-2010-HA010354260.aspx

Troubleshoot "access denied" when opening files or folders

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/troubleshoot-access-denied-when-opening-files-or-folders

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:41 AM
  • Thank you for responding.

The error message says:

"THIS DOCUMENT WAS CREATED WITH RESTRICTED PERMISSION USING THE INFORMATION RIGHTS MANAGEMENT FROM MICROSOFT SERVICE.  YOU DO NOT HAVE THE CREDENTIAL TO USE THIS SERVICE.  WOULD YOU LIKE TO GET THE CREDENTIALS FOR THIS SERVICE NOW?"

I never created this document using IRM.  I didn't know what IRM was until I tried to open this file.  This is a file I created years ago.  I haven't accessed it in a couple of years, but that shouldn't make a difference. 
    Then each time I have tried to sign up for the trial IRM service so I can open the document, I get the following message: 
    "THE ACCOUNT CERTIFICATION SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE, PLEASE TRY AGAIN".  

I've been trying again for weeks.  It is my file on a computer I have had for four years.  I am using Office Word 7, Vista 

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong, and why I need this service to open my own file? 
    Thank you
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:36 PM