IE, Silverlight and Lync 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

We just rolled out Lync 2010 in our RDS env. and in regards to this I was asked why the availability status were not displayed on SharePoint when using the virtualized IE like it does when using the locally installed IE.

I'm currently trying to fix this by pre-installing Lync on the sequencer before I start monitoring and install java, Flash, shockwave, adobe reader and silverlight. The problem is, Lync also installs silverlight which makes it difficult to include it in the package. 

Fortunately lync installs an old version of silverlight so I figured I could update it and at the same time it would be included in the package. The silverlight installer reaches 99% before it says "Installation failed" and "Unable to install silverlight". When i click the more info link, i get "Error ID 1516".

So dear reader, should I just include lync in the package or what do you think?

Monday, March 7, 2011 8:59 AM

Answers

• Seems like SP1 has solved the Visio problem. Haven't tested Silverlight yet.
    Hopefully I won't have any problems with the Lync Presence in SharePoint integration after I get silverlight to work. =)

• Marked as answer by Miito Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:31 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 8:41 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Usually to resolve any silverlight installation errors I uninstall previous version and then install the new version.

/Znack
    Monday, March 7, 2011 9:17 AM
  • I think Lync failed to install silverlight correctly because I get an error saying something about cannot remove a program that is not installed.
    After tips from various silverlight blogs, i removed the silverlight files under Program Files. The reg keys I was supposed to delete was not even there. 

Installation keeps failing though.

Edit: I was able to update Silverlight when the sequencer was not monitoring. Have to try this again. 

Edit 2: Begin monitoring and the installation fails right away. hmmm

Monday, March 7, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Okey, so I get the same error if I revert to a snapshot that doesn't have lync installed. So I should stop blaming Lync at this point. 
    Still works if I don't start monitoring though. 

Strange stuff. 

Wonder if Silverlight requires any prerequisite to work. 

Monday, March 7, 2011 9:51 AM
  • I'm not the only one with this problem it seems. 

http://www.appvirtguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3871

Monday, March 7, 2011 10:49 AM
  • Hello,

Does Silverlight / Lync use Windows Update-service while installing?
    /Znack
    Monday, March 7, 2011 11:16 AM
  • Not sure. Both "Windows Update" and "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" is stopped and set to manual or disabled so they wouldn't be able too anyways. I tried Silverlight 3 to see if that installs, but it failed too. I'm installing some updates that was left behind and see if that changes anything. 
    Monday, March 7, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Hello,

It seems unclear where you are actually having a problem. Lets remove App-V for a while and focus on the following;

1. Can you uninstall Silverlight 3?

2. Can you install Silverlight 4?

3. Can you install Silverlight 4 with the Windows Update / Automatic Updates service disabled?

4. Can you install Lync with the Windows Update / Automatic Updates service disabled?

if you then wish to proceed - can you repeat the above tests with the App-V Sequencer running?

/Znack
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:48 AM
  • Yes to all 4 steps when I'm not monitoring.

No to point 1, 2 and 3 when I begin monitoring. Haven't tested point 4 while monitoring. 

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 1:07 PM
  • Hello,

How is your sequencer setup?
    /Znack
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Hello, 

Server 2008 R2 with office pro plus 2010 and the lync client installed. .NET Framework 3.5.1, C++ 2005 and C++ 2008.
    Sequencer version is 4.6.0.1523, but I will try with SP1 installed today. 

We re-installed the OS so I have tried with and without any windows updates installed just to see if it makes and differences, and sadly it doesn't.

I have the same problem with Visio 2010 now. While monitoring I get "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0150002)" and without monitoring Visio works fine.
    Strange stuff. 

//Miito

Monday, March 14, 2011 6:24 AM
  • Hello,

Those types of errors usually relate to Visual C++ components.

Have you tried a different sequencer?

/Znack
    Monday, March 14, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Yup. same problem on 2 different sequencers. Must be an issue with the base image or something. 
    I'll try installing windows without using the image and see what happens. 

Monday, March 14, 2011 6:35 AM
  • Seems like SP1 has solved the Visio problem. Haven't tested Silverlight yet.
    Hopefully I won't have any problems with the Lync Presence in SharePoint integration after I get silverlight to work. =)

• Marked as answer by Miito Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:31 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 8:41 AM