Client Settings Priority RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure why i am allowing this to confuse me so much but i am.  Can someone just give me a quick explaination or tell me if i am correct in my following scenerio.

For my servers I have all my client settings configured and deployed to my all servers collection.  This includes Hardware Inventory (hw inv) and within there "recently used applications" IS selected.

For a small group of my servers I do not want "recently used applications" in my HW INV.  So i created a collection of these servers.  I then created client settings and only configured HW INV and i unchecked "recently used applications" and I deployed it to this specific collection.  

So this small group of servers are receiving client settings from both my server client settings, and this specific "exclude recently used apps Hardware Inventory" client settings.  

So default client settings is 10,000...and lets say for example my ALL server client settings has a priority of 5.  Should the other client settings (excluding the recently used applications for this small amount of servers) be a priority of 6 so it applies before the server settings, or priority of 4 so it applied after the server settings?

Thanks for any help and explaination!!

Thursday, July 9, 2015 11:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• The highest priority wins and the highest priority is 1. Now you can do the rest of the math.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

Thursday, July 9, 2015 12:10 PM
  • Perfect.  That was my understanding but i just wanted someone to come out and say it to me!  Thanks for the time!
    Thursday, July 9, 2015 12:16 PM
  • thedietz

Were you able to get this configured correctly? I have the same exact need. I have a collection that I do not want to have HW inventory collect RecentlyUsedApps. I have that custom client policy with a priority of 5, my default servers with a 6 (this has RecentlyUsedApps enabled), and default with a 1000. I had to disable the RecenltyUsedApps in Default for the ability to even uncheck and save in the custom client policies - I guess HW classes get propagated down from the Default Client Policy.

Even with the setting above, however, my collection of servers that my custom client policy is targeted against is still gathering RecentlyUsedApps.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the priority of custom client settings and the order it processes. I think it works like this:

1. Default client settings (Priority 1000) processes first. REcentlYUsedApps is not selected.

2. Default Servers settings (Priority 6) processes second. RecentlyUsedApps is selected.

3. Custom client settings (Priority 5) processes last. RecentlyUsedApps is not selected.

It's really the idea that a higher priority client setting would "remove" or "uncheck" any HW inventory setting from a lower priority as it processes through the priority that is confusing me. So you would want to start with a non-inclusionary policy and enable only the things you want as you move up through the priority. But when you want something everywhere and do not want that setting for a specific collection that should exclude it, does the priority processing work to exclude things that are previously enabled in lower priority settings?

Can someone chime in if my logic is correct?

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 1:49 PM