Printing Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello...hope I am in the right area...let me preface my problem by stating that everything worked fine when we were using a regular Windows XP system.

We have a Windows Embedded POS 2009 terminal (v 5.1, service pack 3) with a locally attached (via USB) HP Officejet 4110 all in one printer. 

We also have two laptops, one running XP, the other Vista.  We are trying to print wirelessly over our network.  When I send a print job to this printer, the jobs just hang in the queue, no status, on the laptop. Like I stated earlier, everything was setup fine previously, so what is different with this OS or what am I missing in my set up?  I can only print if I carry my laptop over to the POS terminal and unplug the printer USB cable and plug it into my laptop.  Thanks!!!!!!!1

Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:53 PM

Answers

• One thing that we have not clarified is whether you can print to the OfficeJet 4110 from the local POS terminal or even a remote computer that is connected to the wired network as opposed to wireless.

Can you connect wirelessly to the POS terminal?  Can you see the device on the network? Can you access a shared folder on the POS Terminal from the wireless laptop or another wired computer on the network?

Check to see if TCP/IP Print Server Service is running.  Start - Run - Services.msc then look for TCP/IP Print Server and change start type to Automatic if it is either disabled or set to Manual.  I am not sure if this is required for this scenario or not.

Is POSReady installed on the local hard drive of the POS Terminal, or is it stored on a USB drive, removal USB flash, or internal USB flash?

It may be more efficient to open a support case as opposed to the forum in this particular case given that someone may need to get more familiar with this specific installation that we can do through online communication.  We can continue to try, but just be prepared for it to take a bit longer to isolate the issue.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Terry Warwick Microsoft
    Friday, March 4, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• I would suggest to reinstall the printer software on the laptops. Good luck
    Friday, January 21, 2011 5:30 AM
  • Please specify if you are using "Windows Embedded for Point of Service" or "Windows Embedded POSReady 2009".  POSReady 2009 is the successor product and has addressed an issue that occurs when installing some printer drivers on Windows Embedded for Point of Service.  There is a workaround, but I need to know for sure which version of the product you are using.

Terry Warwick

Microsoft

Terry Warwick Microsoft
    Friday, January 21, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Hi Terry,

Under My Computer, About Windows, it says:

Windows Embedded POS Ready 2009

Version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514: service pack 3)

Thank you so much for your help!

Friday, January 21, 2011 5:32 PM
  • Hi Terry,

Under My Computer, About Windows, it says:

Windows Embedded POS Ready 2009

Version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514: service pack 3)

Thank you so much for your help!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:36 PM
  • We are trying to reproduce the issue to determine what can be done to resolve this issue.  Please stay tuned.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Terry Warwick Microsoft
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:41 PM
  • We have not been able to reproduce the problem that you describe. We are able to queue and print jobs from both the machines simultaneously and they all print.  The print queue display on the Win7 machine does take an extra few seconds to clear out. 

When you say the print jobs hang in the queue on the laptop, do they show up in the queue on the print server?

If we send jobs to the offline “hp officejet 5500 series” that is left over installed from plugging it in directly (details below) in stead of the “hp officejet 5500 series on ComputerName” the jobs just get queued and sit there, then it would print if we plugged in the printer and it went online they would print.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Perhaps there is a problem in our setup...is there any way I can send you screen shots?

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:30 PM
  • One thing that we have not clarified is whether you can print to the OfficeJet 4110 from the local POS terminal or even a remote computer that is connected to the wired network as opposed to wireless.

Can you connect wirelessly to the POS terminal?  Can you see the device on the network? Can you access a shared folder on the POS Terminal from the wireless laptop or another wired computer on the network?

Check to see if TCP/IP Print Server Service is running.  Start - Run - Services.msc then look for TCP/IP Print Server and change start type to Automatic if it is either disabled or set to Manual.  I am not sure if this is required for this scenario or not.

Is POSReady installed on the local hard drive of the POS Terminal, or is it stored on a USB drive, removal USB flash, or internal USB flash?

It may be more efficient to open a support case as opposed to the forum in this particular case given that someone may need to get more familiar with this specific installation that we can do through online communication.  We can continue to try, but just be prepared for it to take a bit longer to isolate the issue.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Terry Warwick Microsoft
    Friday, March 4, 2011 3:02 PM