Automatically choose the correct wallpaper based on the monitor resolution RRS feed

• Question

• In windows 7 i noticed that it is possible to make windows automatically choose a wallpaper based on the resolution of the monitor.

So far i only managed to get that to work for the logon screen wallpaper, but not for the wallpaper that is displayed once the user is logged in.

Am i correct in that automatically choosing the wallpaper based on the monitor resolution will only work for the logon UI background customization (logon screen wallpaper), but not for the logged in user's wallpaper?

See also this blog:

http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/03/15/windows-7-to-officially-support-logon-ui-background-customization/

Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

As I know, there is no such feature in Windows 7 now.

You may try to use scripts and it is recommended to post a new thread in Scripting Forums for discussion.

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, December 27, 2010 2:12 AM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Base on my test, the information in the blog which you attached is able to achieve the goal to automatically choose the wallpaper based on the monitor resolution and will not change the user’s desk background.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance.  :)

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Then i wonder why microsoft has made that feature available for the logon screen only and not for the logged in user.

Could you perhaps shed some light on that?

The reason why i am asking this, is because it makes deployment of a decently fitting corporate wallpaper a lot easier then if i will have to stretch a 4:3 wallpaper on a 16:9 monitor (it's ugly).

Friday, December 17, 2010 8:48 AM
  • Set the wallpaper display position style to "Fill".  Then, no matter the size or proportions of the monitor, the image will never be skewed (the aspect ratio will be preserved).  On smaller monitors, some parts of the image may be cropped off the edges, so you'll need your logo to be in the center.

Other options include a Logon script that detects resolution and applies wallpaper when the user logs in (or perhaps only at first-time login, if you choose).

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

As I know, there is no such feature in Windows 7 now.

You may try to use scripts and it is recommended to post a new thread in Scripting Forums for discussion.

Regards,

Sabrina

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, December 27, 2010 2:12 AM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:00 AM