Do I need to re-shim? RRS feed

• Question

• We have an application that was throwing a UAC prompt when launched. I created a shim for it giving it the runasinvoker right and it seems to work OK.

When this application is updated (and by update, I don't mean make it win7 compatible) do I need to re-create the shim because the version of the application has changed?

Thanks

Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

it depends :) When you created the shim you also specified who the application is identified. If you set the "version up to X.Y"-identifier, you have to re-create the shim. If you did not set such an identifier the shim will automatically apply also to the updated version of the program. To verify that you should open the corrosponding sdb-file in the Compatibility Administrator (part of the ACT) and verify how an application is identified.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, November 14, 2011 12:50 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 1:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since it is an application development issue, please post in MSDN forum to get better assistance.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowscompatibility/threads

I think it is better to re-create the shim since the application has changed.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 7, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

it depends :) When you created the shim you also specified who the application is identified. If you set the "version up to X.Y"-identifier, you have to re-create the shim. If you did not set such an identifier the shim will automatically apply also to the updated version of the program. To verify that you should open the corrosponding sdb-file in the Compatibility Administrator (part of the ACT) and verify how an application is identified.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, November 14, 2011 12:50 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 1:03 PM