Approving Updates on Upstream server - still "not approved" on Downstream RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have an Upstream WSUS 3.2 server on Windows server 2008 R2 which syncs with Microsoft Update.

I have several downstream servers set to sync with the upstream server and this works fine - the downstream servers get any updated computer groups so i can see that works fine. The problem i have is that on my upstream server I have 1 unapproved update, but on my downstream server I have 3 unapproved updates.

I have ran the server cleanup wizard several times then re-synched several times to no avail. Should both WSUS servers always have the same unapproved updates or does it depend on which client machines they look after so for example if my downstream doesnt look after any windows XP clients it doesnt display those updates?

Any help or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:42 AM

Answers

• The problem i have is that on my upstream server I have 1 unapproved update

Only ONE!

but on my downstream server I have 3 unapproved updates.

Since it's such a short list, please post here the update(s) that you are specifically referring to.

Also, review the %ProgramFiles%\Update Services\Logfiles\Change.LOG and identify exactly when those updates were approved on the upstream server and post those times. (Based on what you've posted, at least two of those three updates must be approved on the upstream server since only one update is still unapproved.)

Finally, note when the replica server last synchronized and post that time.

Should both WSUS servers always have the same unapproved updates?

If the replica server has always been a replica server and has NEVER been an autonomous server AND if the Server Cleanup Wizard has always been properly executed on both machines, concurrently, and properly coordinated with the synchronization schedules and download activity -- then, yes, they should have the same approvals. But in reality this is rarely the case, so it's not uncommon to see this type of discrepancy. It's just a matter of isolating it and fixing it.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2011)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    • Proposed as answer by Jeff Ren Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Ren Monday, September 26, 2011 2:32 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:55 PM

All replies

• In addition to this, on my Upstream server I have gone through my approved updates and found one of the ones still stating "Not approved" on my downstream server.

So the update is definately approved on upstream but is not approved on downstream. Interestingly though in the status of the update on my upstream server it says "The files for this update have not yet been downloaded. The update can be approved but will not be available to computers until the download is complete."

Again, any help or thoughts on this would be much appreciated

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:59 AM
  • The problem i have is that on my upstream server I have 1 unapproved update

Only ONE!

but on my downstream server I have 3 unapproved updates.

Since it's such a short list, please post here the update(s) that you are specifically referring to.

Also, review the %ProgramFiles%\Update Services\Logfiles\Change.LOG and identify exactly when those updates were approved on the upstream server and post those times. (Based on what you've posted, at least two of those three updates must be approved on the upstream server since only one update is still unapproved.)

Finally, note when the replica server last synchronized and post that time.

Should both WSUS servers always have the same unapproved updates?

If the replica server has always been a replica server and has NEVER been an autonomous server AND if the Server Cleanup Wizard has always been properly executed on both machines, concurrently, and properly coordinated with the synchronization schedules and download activity -- then, yes, they should have the same approvals. But in reality this is rarely the case, so it's not uncommon to see this type of discrepancy. It's just a matter of isolating it and fixing it.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2011)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    • Proposed as answer by Jeff Ren Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff Ren Monday, September 26, 2011 2:32 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:55 PM