UML Schematics with No Model Explorer Useless RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry for my brash manner, but without Model Explorer Visio 2013 Professional is useless to me. For UML, there was NO BETTER consolidated design and navigation window than Model Explorer. There, developers could view and manipulate the hierarchy of the design with nice tree structures. The Model Explorer provided good viewing and design mechanics at the Model level. The Model Explorer was the core of Visio for many years, and without it's functional "drag and drop" window, I can find no adequate design tool for UML Schematics with more than 3-4 Static Structures. How can this be serviced?

+__+

• Edited by CubeZene Friday, December 20, 2013 4:11 PM
    Friday, December 20, 2013 3:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, in Visio 2013 the UML solution is being replaced by a new content-focused template that is quick and lightweight.(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178954.aspx)

Then, I tested in my computer, I could not find the Model Explorer, because it drop the feature Reverse Engineer Database, so it also cannot show the Model explorer.

We could try to use new UML solution in Visio 2013:

http://blogs.office.com/b/visio/archive/2012/10/17/uml-and-database-diagrams-in-the-new-visio.aspx

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Wednesday, January 8, 2014 6:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by CubeZene Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:23 PM
    Monday, December 23, 2013 6:07 AM
  • Thanks George. The Visio 2013 UML templates accommodate a different type of user. The real purpose of UML is to model schematics of software systems. This is a role requiring Model Explorer. Although the salient points made in the articles are good points, and can lead intermediate UML schematicists to create good schematics, the missing Model Explorer has removed the usefulness of Visio UML schematics for enterprise architects. I am trying to raise this issue with the senior executives at Microsoft.

+__+

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 8:02 PM