none
HomePage Changes to Yahoo Regardless of Settings, Addons, Toolbars, etc RRS feed

• Question

• My HomePage changes to search.yahoo/com/?type=800236&fr=spigot-yhp no matter what I set or change plus the selection of Yahoo as the search default engine also occurs in IE as well.

I have repeatedly set the page to something else.

I have disabled and deleted yahoo search engine, but it keeps coming back in Internet properties as the default when it also changes the homepage.

I have deleted and uninstalled ALL Toolbars.

I have disabled all add-ons except AVAST anti-virus.

I have repeatedly deleted my javascript profiles.

I have uninstalled ALL Yahoo software i.e. Messenger & Toolbars.

I have uninstalled ALL software that has Spigot in the description.

I have manually edited the registry to change settings for homepage.

I have manually removed all references in the registry for Yahoo or Spigot, although some always return.

I have disabled every service that I dared.

I have verified setup through msconfig and cannot see anything out of the ordinary.

I have searched the web repeatedly and have tried every reference that I could reasonably trust & find.

I have ran IObit Malware, Avast Antivirus, CCleaner, IObit Advanced System Care, & Glary Utilities and have found nothing out of the ordinary.

Btw - My ambivalence towards yahoo and it has now become a full-fledged mission to see that Yahoo is removed with prejudice at all costs. No excuse for a supposed reputable company like Yahoo to stoop to these levels to get more clicks.

Any suggestion beyond those I have already tried would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, December 16, 2013 4:14 PM

All replies

• Any suggestion beyond those I have already tried would be greatly appreciated.

Watch what is happening with ProcMon.  E.g. filter with Operation Is RegSetValue.  You may be lucky and find that there is another process doing it.  Otherwise you will at least get more information that way about when it is changing.  This assumes that it is something that happens quickly or during a boot.  (You can use ProcMon's Boot Logging to try to capture things which happen then.)   If it is something that is intermittent or only occurs on a long time cycle you might be better off trying to use Auditing (which I am aware of but have never used myself.  Also, then you would have to know exactly which registry key (at least) was involved.)

Alternatively, I don't see that you have done a safe mode boot, made your change and done another safe mode boot to see if the change sticks then.  If that worked it would suggest the need for more clean-boot troubleshooting.  E.g. use AutoRuns (from SysInternalsSuite) instead of msconfig to see what might be happening when.  Then that could guide further diagnosis using ProcMon.  Etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, December 16, 2013 6:41 PM