Can an APP-V app (stand alone or otherwise) run from a Network Share without every having been "installed" RRS feed

• Question

• Background: Our strategy for deploying applications is to virtualize whenever possible and if that doesn't work then use Citrix Published apps (or possibly RemoteApp).  If none of those work, we will install MSIs using Config Manager (as a last resort).

Corporate App Store:  We want to stick shortcuts to Virtual Apps (along with shortcuts to Citrix published apps) in a corporate "App Store".  This App Store would reside on a network file share and we would grant or limit access to the shortcuts or subfolders by means of standard windows file system permissions.  We would redirect the "Start Menu" shell folder to this App Store folder allowing us to have centralized control.

We are currently evaluating both APP-V and ThinApp as our virtual application solution.  Thinapp doesn't require a client and it's apps are simply EXEs (which we can easily make shortcuts of).

We don't want to "install" any virtual applications....we simply want to create shortcuts to virtual apps that can be run from a network share (provided the App-V client is installed).  We realize this approach may forgo some functionality but this would be acceptable because of the simplicity gains.

Question:  Can an APP-V app (stand alone or otherwise) run from a Network Share without every having been "installed".

Thanks,

David W King

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by David W King Thursday, August 2, 2012 11:29 AM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 8:03 PM
  • App-V packages require that the App-V client be installed before virtual applications can run. It's a different architecture to ThinApp.

Where as with ThinApp, updates to ThinApp require re-compiling your packages, App-V does not, just update the client. There's advantages and disadvantages to both approaches.

This will also be true for App-V v5.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 9:35 PM
  • I don't object so much to installing the APP-V client, just having to "install" each and every APP-V application. 

<snip>

We don't want to "install" any virtual applications....we simply want to create shortcuts to virtual apps that can be run from a network share (provided the App-V client is installed)

<snip>

My mission is to be able to immediately run an APP-V app from a shortcut without ever having to "install" the app (on machines that have the APP-V client installed of course).

I did a cursory read of you're blog that Nicke provided above and it appears that what I want to do can only be done by 3rd party tools.  This is unfortunate because it means the only supported method of APP-V app delivery would require installation via our ConfigMgr infrastructure (or an APP-V server) and we really don't want users to have to go install apps on their own (we have hundreds of APPs in our hospital and users regularly roam). I guess part of the reason Microsoft does this is register extensions with the workstation.

We own APP-V, but I think we're going to have to take a closer look at Thinapp.

Anyhow thanks for your comments

David W. King

Techical Architect - Systems, Information Technology
    (919) 784-3889
    david.king@rexhealth.com

REX Healthcare, 4420 Lake Boone Trail, Raleigh, NC 27607

David W King

Thursday, August 2, 2012 11:29 AM
  • have hundreds of APPs in our hospital and users regularly roam). I guess part of the reason Microsoft does this is register extensions with the workstation.

ThinApp has the same requirement - ThinReg.exe is required to register applications to file type associations, for example. If you want to provide an "App Store" using App-V, you could deliver the applications via the App-V Management Server (which targets users) and use a solution such as Immidio AppScriber to allow users to select from a list of applications have them provisioned: http://immidio.com/appscriber/

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 11:36 AM
  • I am just blown away by the conclusion, but I also feel that there isn't enough information inorder for me to understand why you exclude to use technologies you have in-place and implement a secondary infrastructure.

Good luck with the implementation - I feel that an Appstore is the way togo!

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, August 2, 2012 11:51 AM
  • Thanks for the info. I think we could solve the ThinReg.exe hurdle.

We looked at "Launcher" prodcuts, but we really like the utter simplicty of a design using a network share controlled via windows file permissions.  We predict that over 80 percent of our apps will be combination of virtual or Citrix <read server based computer here> applications.  The remainder will be MSIs or otherwise locally installed packages.  But the important point is that we want to architect a solution where uses rarely have to use another "pane of glass" to launch applications.

The crux of the problem is that whether we use APP-V server or Config Manager, we don't want users to have to "install" APP-V apps as they roam throughout the hospital because they will invariably be confronted with many workstations that don't have the desired software installed (or published) on them.  Then they'd be force to crank up the Application Catalog and choose the app in question and install it, and click, and wait and click ok etc.  Sure we could prestage or force out every app to every PC but that doesn't seem like a good idea.  Even if all the apps are pre-installed, we also have the problem with individual versus global shortcuts and being able to place a functional global APP-V shortcut in the App Store.  Pardon my ignorance, but can a APP-V streamed app (where the cache is on the network drive) be streamed without having to be published to the workstation and can the same shortcut be shared among multiple users on a network share?

David W King

Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:28 PM