Is there any point of having the same driver twice in out-of-box folder? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there any point of having the same driver twice in out-of-box folder?

I have the structure so that I have different models in different folders for example: Lenovo Carbon x1, Lenovo W541. But they have the same drivers. Should I just go in and delete all drivers that have a parentheses with a number? Because I im using the chaos PnID method of injecting drivers. I've tried controlled and failed. Will this save the size of the wim and speed of downloading the image from offices that are far away?

One more question: Since updating to 2012 R2 server. Now the deployment does multi-cast transfer is this the preferred method? Also do I need to create a new Task sequence since the updated 2013 MDT contains new updates?

Best Regards Kjell Valge

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 9:14 AM

Answers

• The drivers you have available in your Out-Of-Box drivers folder that are duplicates shouldn't effect the size of the installed WIMs.  However your boot images might be if you allow chaos to determine what your WinPE boot drivers are.

Multi-cast is nice when you have a few same installs in parallel.  There is some network configuration required though.  If you don't have huge slowdowns while installing I generally don't use it.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by ItsupportSweden Friday, November 27, 2015 8:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:02 PM