SCCM R2 Post Upgrade Concerns RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

I have upgraded the SCCM site from SP1 to R2 successfully and the logs shows the same :

.....................................................................................................................................................................

INFO: Configuration Manager Setup - Primary site upgrade completed. Configuration Manager Setup 1/10/2015 5:42:06 PM 6916 (0x1B04)
    ~===================== Completed Configuration Manager 2012 Server Setup - Upgrade ===================== Configuration Manager Setup 1/10/2015 5:42:06 PM 6916 (0x1B04)

.....................................................................................................................................................................

However, on the R2 upgrade screen, it still shows some of the icons in blue as below, is this OK or do i need to check something else as well ?

Saturday, January 10, 2015 12:43 PM

All replies

• It will be OK when the installation of the different components is completed. To be sure keep an eye on the site status and the installation log files of the different components, but this should be fine in the end.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

Saturday, January 10, 2015 1:03 PM
  • OK Peter,

1)

I am now trying to upgrade CU2, it gives an option to create packages for consoles, servers and clients,

Would this new package be distributed to clients and servers automatically as the "Automatically Upgrade" option is checked ?

Or else, what is the method for it and if it is really necessary for all clients to have this package, Cant they run in SCCM 2012 R2 when the primary site runs on SCCM 2012 R2 CU2 ?

2)

Is it mandatory to install MDT 2013 ? I have seen mixed responses on the internet where some have only advised for the R2 upgrade and some have done the MDT 2013 after the R2 upgrade.

Saturday, January 10, 2015 2:22 PM
  • #1: no, as the auto client upgrade only upgrades major versions (rtm -> sp1 -> r2). R2 clients can talk to a R2 CU2 site but you should upgrade them.

#2: yes it's mandatory

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Saturday, January 10, 2015 4:23 PM
  • Torsten,

1) So I have to just distribute the new CU2 package created under  "\Software Library\Overview\Application Management\Packages\Configuration Manager Updates"  the clients will automatically be updated with the CU2 update as well ???

2) Thanks, Any best article you could refer and how would it really affect if not upgraded, I mean, if done in few days from now, would the OSD not work ? How does it exactly impact?

Monday, January 12, 2015 6:06 AM
  • Torsten,

1) So I have to just distribute the new CU2 package created under  "\Software Library\Overview\Application Management\Packages\Configuration Manager Updates"  the clients will automatically be updated with the CU2 update as well ???

2) Thanks, Any best article you could refer and how would it really affect if not upgraded, I mean, if done in few days from now, would the OSD not work ? How does it exactly impact?

1) You need to deploy the CU2 client update to the clients, just as you deployed the WinRAR uninstallation (Another forum thread). Program, deployment, collections etc. Nothing happens automatically :-)

2) No, the clients being in an older version doesn't affect OSD, software deployment or any other features. You can wait a few days, but it's considered best practice and will fix some of the problems coming with the CU2 update.

Martin Bengtsson | www.imab.dk

Monday, January 12, 2015 9:21 AM
  • 1) You need to deploy the R2 client update to the clients

Did you mean that I need to deploy the CU2 package separately as i believe R2 upgrade will be done automatically to all the clients if the auto upgrade option is checked ?

Monday, January 12, 2015 12:03 PM
  • CUs will not be installed automatically so you have to take care of it.

Monday, January 12, 2015 12:55 PM
  • 1) You need to deploy the R2 client update to the clients

Did you mean that I need to deploy the CU2 package separately as i believe R2 upgrade will be done automatically to all the clients if the auto upgrade option is checked ?

Sorry, I was referring to CU2. Monday morning, I'm excused.

Martin Bengtsson | www.imab.dk

Monday, January 12, 2015 2:24 PM
  • Its Ok Martin :)

I believe we can use SCUP to deploy SCCM's cumulative updates ?

Roughly how much time does it take for a newly domain joined machine to get the SCCM client on it ?

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:03 AM
  • It depends ... how do you want to install the client? Automatic client push? If so: check the discovery settings. 

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:08 AM