Desktop Folders and Files won't change name RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am running Windows 7 64 bit Enterprise and have a very strange issue.  Whenever I create a folder on the desktop and rename it will still say New Folder.  If I then try to delete the folder it says it can't find it because it won't reflect the name change.  The same thing happens with files.  If I create a new folder and let it be called New Folder then the old one disappears, but it won't show the old one under the correct name.  If I go to my desktop through the users folder then all the files and folders will show there with the correct name.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time.

Also I am a first time poster so if this is in the wrong area I apologize.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 4:04 PM

Answers

• Yes, you posted this in the wrong place. Next time, use http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/threads this link for questions dealing with Windows 7.

Seems like your desktop does not refresh after you create/rename/delete any folder/shortcut in there. In that case, press F5 key after you create, change or delete the file. This will reflect changes you made on the desktop onto it.

"Everything we do is dictated by motive."
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:44 AM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

Also, please check if the following KB article helps:

"The file or folder does not exist" error in Windows Vista

If the above information not help, please go to check the permission of the folder. You may take ownership of it.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 8:34 AM

All replies

• Yes, you posted this in the wrong place. Next time, use http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/threads this link for questions dealing with Windows 7.

Seems like your desktop does not refresh after you create/rename/delete any folder/shortcut in there. In that case, press F5 key after you create, change or delete the file. This will reflect changes you made on the desktop onto it.

"Everything we do is dictated by motive."
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

Also, please check if the following KB article helps:

"The file or folder does not exist" error in Windows Vista

If the above information not help, please go to check the permission of the folder. You may take ownership of it.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 8:34 AM
  • I am also suffering this problem. It's a bit more than a window not refreshing, though. 

In my case the folder retains the name New Folder and when I copy a file into it the file appears in the folder. Trouble is if I open a new window the folder appears with it's new name but no file in it. When I search for the file I copied into the new folder the search result shows it as being in New Folder. Which doesn't exist any more. 

This is seriously weird and it's causing Windows to be pretty much unusable. 

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 2:46 PM