none
Unable to Insert Subprojects RRS feed

• Question

• I used to be able to insert a subproject into a master project - and get the icon showing it was a subproject.  Now I cannot insert a subproject - it doesn't even insert the tasks much less show the icon.  I upgraded from Project 2010 Standard to Project 2010 Professional (but that shouldn't have made any difference).  I'm unable to find anything anywhere that can explain what happened.  Has anyone run into a similar issue?  Here's what I do:  Open a new project, click "Projects" click "Subproject" select the project from my documents and click "Insert"  Nothing happens - absolutely nothing.  The same thing happens if I insert a subproject into an existing project.
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Mary, I tried to reply to your Blog contact - but for some reason the e-mail bounced - so I'll post my reply here instead:

Hi Mary, I haven’t come across that one before, and don’t see any likely looking bugs that we have fixed.  I’m assuming no customization of the ribbon has been deployed that changes the behavior?  A repair on Project Professional might be a good first step.  Another tip one of my colleagues shared recently is to rename the section of the registry that holds the Project data – as sometimes these kind of issues can be due to bad/corrupt registry settings – then this will get re-created fresh with the default settings.  First close Project, and then follow the steps below, after making a backup of your registry.  The Windows 7 instructions for registry backup can be found at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry?woldogcb=0 – for other OS versions you should be able to find via Bing.

1. Start the Registry Editor (I don’t know what OS you’re using or how you have it configured so I can’t say how you’ll find and start it).

2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\MS Project

3. Rename the “MS Project” to something else.

4. Start Project. 

5. Test your issue.  If the problem is gone, then there was a registry setting that was suppressing the functionality you wanted.

Let me know if this works for you, or if you need more guidance on the steps (not sure how comfortable you might be making such changes).  If it does work you may need to update some options if you had previously used different settings than the defaults.

Best regards,

Brian Smith

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:43 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian - unfortuantely it didn't work.  Let me explain a bit more what I was doing when this happened.  (BTW - I'm running Windows 7 with Project 2010 Professional).  I have never had an issue pulling subplans into a master plan - worked like a charm.  But now, I am trying to consolidate several project plans into one plan and the subplans plans I'm trying to consolidate have a considerable number of macros in them.  At first, I thought this was the issue.  When I tried to pull the plans together - nothing happened.  Nothing at all.  No error message - just a blank task where I tried to insert the plans.  I thought the macros were an issue - but I've tried pulling together plans (unrelated to this project) that have no macros and are very uncomplicated (just tasks, durations, % complete, start, finish, predecessors) and that doesn't work either.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled Project several times - Project 2007, Project Standard 2010 and Project Professional 2010.  I'm beginning to think that there is a setting that somehow got triggered when I tried to pull the subprojects with macros into a master plan.  That's the only thing I can think of.  Boggles my mind!  Thanks for your answer!
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:30 PM
  • Brian - one other thing - could the global template somehow gotten corrupted?  Maybe the template for the subprojects wrote over the default global template?  Just trying to think out of the box.
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:36 PM
  • Thanks for the update Mary - I'll make some enquiries internally - we may need you to open a support incident to dig deeper.  Also, as this is more related to Project Professional I will move this thread over to the more applicable forum.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:36 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

I had exactly the same thing (and a few more problems); I created a new account and from there it worked.

Can't explain why, though.

Greetings,

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:41 PM
  • Hi Mary,

Shot in the dark here - but what are your macro settings in the trust center?  If you drop them to "enable all macros" any change?

Julie

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Hi Mary, some thoughts from one of my colleagues - and we don't think it is getting far enough for macros to come in to play Julie.

It would be interesting to try this:

1. Insert the Subproject File field.

2. Manually enter the name of the project you want to insert.  For example, if the current path is your documents folder and you want to insert the project abc, type “abc.mpp” (without quotation marks).  Likewise, if you want to insert a server project, type “<>\abc”

Does the project appear as expected? 

Another test would be to first open the project (so that it is in memory) and then try inserting it.  Does it work? (just trying to rule out an “open” problem during the insertion routine).

Are they trying to insert server projects or just plain old MPP projects?

Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:21 PM
    Owner
  • And Jan - are you referring to the account to connect to server?  That would certainly then use a fresh copy of the Enterprise Global - perhaps that might make a difference.

Brian.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:22 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian,

No Project Server in the game. I had read something about Windows problems (I am in Windows XP on this computer) and created a new Windows account: there I can not only insert subprojects but even switch from Manual to Automatic (impossible in the original account). So in my case the culprit was Widows XP.

Greetings,

Friday, April 12, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Hi Brian,

They're just plain 'ole .mpp projects - we're not running server here.  I actually managed to get this done - inserted subprojects into a master project.  The projects themselves had 18 macros in each one of them (I didn't build them!) and they were the same macros in every one of them.  They also had custom fields (tied to these macros).  I deleted ALL macros in each plan and hid the custom fields tied to the macros (couldn't figure out how to delete these).  After this, I was able to insert them as subprojects into a master project.

I'm thinking that this issue involved the macros.  Because each plan had the same macros (and those macros weren't defined in the master plan) this probably sent Project into revolt. 

I want to thank you - and everyone who helped - very much.  It made me put on my thinking cap and work to figure out what was going on.  I think I should get a combat badge for this - project green beret to the rescue!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Hi Julie - I tried this after reading your suggestion (and kind of discovering in on my own) and my suspicions were confirmed that the macros were the issue.  I completely disabled ALL macros - and tried to pull in the original plans.  Worked like a charm.  Daggone macros!!!!

Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:26 PM
  • You're welcome.  I'm glad disabling the macros worked.

Julie

Monday, April 22, 2013 4:36 PM