User constantly getting Access Denied in document library RRS feed

• Question

• I have a MOSS 2007 site which contains two document libraries (DocLib A and DocLib B).  On the default.aspx page of the site, the contents of both libraries are displayed.  I have a user who is able to access the site and see the contents of both libraries, but when they click on any folders within the libraries they get Access Denied.

The libraries do both have custom permissions, but this user has Contribute accesss to both libraries as well as the site itself.  I confirmed that none of the folders have custom permissions.

What's even stranger, is that the user only gets Access Denied if they navigate to the library directly via View All Site Content and then click on a folder in the library.  If they open the same folder via the webpart on the default.aspx page, they are able to view the contents.  Any ideas?

Monday, January 10, 2011 6:59 PM

All replies

• Are they getting the access denied message which they navigate to the library under all items or when the click on the folder after they get to the library?  is it possible some one may have customized the allItems.aspx in the library? What shows up when you log in as Administrator, get to the library by navigating through View All Site contents and edit the page? is there any web part thats added there?

HTH
    Nagesh S

Days and years do not mean anything to me. Moments shared are frozen
    in their time frame. Distance or time never fades them for me. I cherish them
    like my life. I have never let them sleep alone. Sachi
    Monday, January 10, 2011 7:08 PM
  • hi

is this problem reproducable on all folders? Try to create new folders in both libraries and check whether users will have access to them or not. If they will have access to newly created folders (i.e. folders without any customizations) then problem most probably in existing folders' security configuration. Try to break role inheritance for them and inherit parent doclib permissions again. And check will users have mentioned problems after this round trip or not.

Blog - http://sadomovalex.blogspot.com
    CAML via C# - http://camlex.codeplex.com
    Monday, January 10, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Here's what triggers the error:

• User navigates to site
    • On the Quick Launch, user clicks on the library
    • This loads the "All Documents" view of the library ("/site/library/AllItems.aspx")
    • User can see the folder structure and some documents which are not in any folder
    • User clicks on any of the folders - Access Denied

If the user does this though, there is no Access Denied error:

• User navigates to site ("/site/default.aspx")
    • User sees the folder structure via the web part on the home page
    • User clicks on the same folder as above example - No error, user can see contents

I checked the AllItems.aspx page and there are no other web parts added.  I even browsed the site in SPD 2007 to confirm that the AllItems page hadn't been modified in any other way but it doesn't look like it's been changed

EDIT - @sadomovalex - Yes, all folders in the library.  I went ahead and set the library to inherit permissions from the site and I will have the user retest.  If that works, I will revert the library back to custom permissions and apply the custom permission levels they originally had (same user group, different levels of access) and see if that works.  User has left the office for today but I will have them retest tomorrow.

Monday, January 10, 2011 8:02 PM
  • " I confirmed that none of the folders have custom permissions"

What you mean by this ?. Webpart means accessing through custom code with elevated privilege ?

you could read more about security http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287792(office.12).aspx

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:17 AM
  • You can apply custom permissions to a folder within any library by clicking on it and then clicking Manage Permissions.  I was confirming that we did not customize the permissions of the individual folders.
    • Proposed as answer by RuchaP Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:01 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sephiroth0327 Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:18 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:20 PM