Scheduled tasks did not display after domain join RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise Virtual Machine, patched to the latest Microsoft Hotfixes/Patches available.  This server was a member of a Workgroup and was joined to a domain.  As part of the domain join process the server was renamed, rebooted, then successfully joined to the domain.

After the domain join the scheduled tasks that were working & displaying when the server was in a Workgroup would not display or run at all.  I did a shutdown and startup of the VM to make sure it was a clean startup of the server and it did not resolve the issue.  There were a couple of AT commands that I temporarily renamed thinking they may have been causing a hang of the scheduler service.  Neither of these attempts resolved the issue.

I finally placed the server back in a workgroup and the issue was resolved.  At first I thought it might be Domain GPO related but I also joined two other Windows 2008 R2 servers to the same domain and the Computers were in the same OU within AD and they did not experience the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might have caused this issue?

So far my searches have not turned up an explanation as to why this particular issue occurred.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:34 PM

All replies

• Hi JWEllis,

Did you got any event error code? Please use the Local Admins group user logon the computer then confirm the task exist. The schedule task not work typically caused by the task permission issue, you can refer the following similar thread to confirm your schedule task have configured the correct permission.

Allow non-admin access to Scheduled Tasks in Windows 2008+

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/7fce69a9-48dc-4a58-a03e-d12e2b98c927/allow-nonadmin-access-to-scheduled-tasks-in-windows-2008

Task Scheduler and security

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785125(v=ws.10).aspx

Cacls

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755611(v=ws.10).aspx

The related third party article:

Windows 7 Task Scheduler: “The user account does not have permission to run this task”

http://occasionalcoherence.com/2012/02/14/windows-7-task-scheduler-the-user-account-does-not-have-permission-to-run-this-task/

I’m glad to be of help to you!

*** This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet. ***

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:34 AM
  • I am logged onto the server with an account that is in the Local Admin group.  Even when I am logged on with the built-in Local Admin account I have the same issue.  However whenever I log onto the server when it is in a WORKGROUP and not the domain the Scheduled Tasks run and I can view them just fine.
    Sunday, September 7, 2014 12:31 PM
  • After the domain join I show the following errors..."The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows could not resolve the computer name. This could be caused by one of more of the following: 
    a) Name Resolution failure on the current domain controller. 
    b) Active Directory Replication Latency (an account created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller)."

"Attempt to update HOST Service Principal Names (SPNs) of the computer object in Active Directory failed. The updated values were 'RestrictedKrbHost/FQDN' and 'RestrictedKrbHost/Hostname'. The following error occurred: 
    The RPC server is unavailable."

"Attempt to update HOST Service Principal Names (SPNs) of the computer object in Active Directory failed. The updated values were 'RestrictedKrbHost/FQDN' and 'RestrictedKrbHost/Hostname'. The following error occurred: 
    The authentication service is unknown."

Sunday, September 7, 2014 12:41 PM