BLACK SCREEN on start up with 3 beeps, FREEZES when power unplugged, IF IT BOOTS splash screen freezes, OVERHEATING REQUIRED TO BOOT - 0x7B, Event 41 kernel-power RRS feed

• Question

• Issue: One day I unplug the power, the screen freezes and I get frozen music sound. I shut down, start up, I get 3 beeps (1 short 2 long), which indicates a Video failure according to the Thinkpad Laptop beep code list.

How I solve the issue day-to-day: I turn the heat up - I disconnect the battery and hard drive and plug in the power then turn it on. I will wait until the underneath is searing hot with a blanket blocking the fan's flow of air, I mean way hot because any cooler and it won't start. Plug stuff back in, Hard drive first, Battery second, turn off with power button hold, unplug power, replug power. 

I turn it on, no beeps, it goes past the first Lenovo screen, then gives me a prompt because it "didn't shut down properly" and continue regular startup. What happens next is the Windows logo appears, and just as the animated windows logo starts to move (you see 2 small colored dots on the screen), it freezes. I see this every time, I know naturally that it means that the laptop is still too hot to go past that point, so I shut it down and try again. After about 5 - 10 tries it will go past the splash screen and into the login area, then it's all fine. 

Sometimes when I unplug the power from the back by accident it will freeze. By accident I mean that the connector wiggles it's self out easily. This unplug freezing thing started happening about 1 week before the 3 beep black screen problem started rolling, so I'm putting 2 together.

Errors:

I got a Blue Screen of Death the first time I started it up with the overheating ritual, but I never got it since. It was 0X7B.

I got another Blue Screen of Death about a week ago, but came as it was on already and I had been using it, and said something about disabling Cache or Shadowing in BIOS. I never got it since.

Event Viewer events found:

1. Kernel-Power, Summary page.

There are critical events for a few things like Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, Task Category (63). There are 19 of them, each day 1 or 2 of them but mostly 1, so this maybe corresponds to my daily ritual.

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

-----

2. Kernel-Processor-Power - Event ID 37, task category (7)

"The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report."

-----

3. LMS - HCMI - Event ID 2, Task Category: none

"LMS Service cannot connect to HECI driver".

-----

I came across a very sluggish performing control panel for Nvidia before and after this problem, and I tried installing a newer version, which I had to jump through a few hoops to do, like uninstalling first, not just updating. At first it said that the driver wasnt for the system, which was wrong. I made it work somehow, but it was still sluggish. I rolled it back to an earlier driver, and now it works fine. No sluggish performance / slight freeze window thing going on.

MSCONFIG.exe, Boot Advanced Options: I have tried twice to change this 1 setting, check box "Number of processors" and change to 2 processors, because I do have 2 processors. I have been able to change this in the past, but it does not save the setting now, and I believe this option was selected before I started having problems, and settings did not disappear then.

What could this be. The small round BIOS battery? The video card like everyone presumes? (I.E. the entire motherboard replacement), Software? The wiggly power input area? (Not enough power getting in?), Firmware of some sort? The BIOS software being wrong?

SYSTEM INFO:

Thinkpad T61p 6457-A24, Intel core 2 duo (T7700) 2.4GHz, Intel 120GB SSD 6Gb/s, NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (256 MB),

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium (6.1, Build 7601), BIOS Ver 1.00PARTTBLx

Display: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit 60 Hz), Integrated RAMDAC, Main driver: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx,nvwgf2,

Version 8.17.12.9688, Date 5/31/2012, DDI version 10, Driver model WDDM 1.1

Please excuse the small text at the beginning, there isn't an option to un-do that error.
    • Edited by T1Tuner Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:28 AM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:16 AM

Answers

• ANSWER: DAILY DOUBLE.

SOLVED.

HOW TO FIX IT:

OVERHEAT YOUR MACHINE USING ABOVE MENTIONED STEPS (FIRST POST).

TRY TO GET LOGGED IN. SAVE ALL MEDIA ON AN EXTERNAL USB FLASH DRIVE.  

LET BATTERY DIE - UNPLUG THE POWER SUPPLY AND WAIT FOR THE BATTERY TO DIE BY ITS SELF.

INSERT WINDOWS OS INSTALL DISK.

BOOT INTO INSTALL, ERASE ALL PARTITIONS, INSTALL WINDOWS.

(DON'T PANIC, THE OS WILL REBOOT THE MACHINE WITHOUT BEEPS, MYSTERIOUSLY, HMM BECAUSE IT ALMOST NEVER REBOOTS WITHOUT 1 LONG 2 SHORT BEEPS, AND NOW IT DOES).

SOLVED.

WHY ME? YOU ASK. 

ANSWER: YOU CONTRACTED A BOOT VIRUS, FAULTY DRIVERS (CORRUPTED DRIVERS), THE MBR (MASTER BOOT RECORD) IS CORRUPTED OR HAS A VIRUS (WHICH CAN ALSO MEAN CORRUPTED).

THE QUESTION IS BY WHOM.

I CAN SPECULATE QUITE WELL ABOUT THE ANSWER TO THAT.

NOT THE ANSWER: VIDEO CARD, MOTHERBOARD, MEMORY.

P.S.

DON'T LISTEN TO 99.9% OF FORUM MEMBERS, THEY ARE FULL OF IT. THEY DO NOT KNOW.

• Marked as answer by T1Tuner Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:33 PM
    • Edited by T1Tuner Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:42 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:32 PM

All replies

• Your issue can best be addressed by the experts in one of the Lenovo ThinkPad Forums.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:38 AM
  • I came here because of the slight chance that this may be Windows related, or conflict between.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:41 AM
  • I almost forgot, BIOS was set to 1988 after it started up for the first time. When I got the 0x7B blue screen I went into the BIOS and changed settings from AHCI to Compatibility Mode, and it went past the blue screen.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:16 AM
  • The beep code indicates a hardware failure and you need to address this first before worrying about Windows problems. You should do as Carey suggested and post on the Lenovo forums or contact Lenovo support

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/feedback/contactsupport.page?

This sounds like a reasonable pc and you are doing your hardware no favours by overheating it. You should cease doing this immediately. 
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:50 AM
  • I came here because I am unable to find reasoning backing up the fact that hardware is the issue definitively, as there is much software related evidence suggesting towards software.

ADDITIONAL INFO:

The laptop sometimes (rarely, 2-4 times total out of many) boots while it is not hot, after being turned off, but after it has been running, but is cool to the touch. I also know that Nvidia control panel stated that the temperature was at about 78 degrees fahrenheit when apparently scalding egg-cooking temperatures are surely not that low of a temperature, and when cooled down it's 65 degrees fahrenheit. I am sceptical of these temp readings.

• Edited by T1Tuner Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:28 AM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:28 AM
  • The reasoning is this : the beeps are generated by the BIOS power on self test (POST). This happens before Windows is booted and is something which Windows does not influence.

Since overheating the pc "solves" your problem it sounds likely that there is a bad connection somewhere or possibly some detritus is arcing something out.

I cannot understand your reluctance to involve the manufacturers support forum.

• Edited by mystifeid Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:44 AM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:42 AM
  • I'm remembering something that happens, also, when put to sleep, you can not get it out of sleep mode by pressing any buttons. You either have to press the power button or turn it off and back on. 99% of the time however putting it to sleep isn't a good idea, for it will beep then also.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:49 AM
  • HMMMMMMM HM HM HM HM... BOOT.TIDSERV, this sounds promising. I find out some people have had this BOOT.TIDSERV virus that stops the computer from booting similarly to how mine does. I've been thinking of wiping my drive. Hmmmmm
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:56 AM
  • You are very wrong about that Carey. Not 1 single person figured out what I did. What do YOU think made my computer work without beeping at all hu? (I bet you're gonna tell me). I figured it out.

RE-INSTALL WINDOWS 7 OS.

SOLVED.

DOESN'T BEEP ANY MORE.

THAT IS A PART OF microsoft ISN'T IT.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:13 PM
  • You are very wrong about that mystified. What do YOU think made my computer work without beeping at all hu? (I bet you're gonna tell me). I figured it out.

RE-INSTALL WINDOWS 7 OS.

SOLVED.

DOESN'T BEEP ANY MORE.

THAT IS A PART OF microsoft ISN'T IT.

::: EGO KILLER 9000 :::

• Edited by T1Tuner Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:17 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:15 PM
  • ANSWER: DAILY DOUBLE.

SOLVED.

HOW TO FIX IT:

OVERHEAT YOUR MACHINE USING ABOVE MENTIONED STEPS (FIRST POST).

TRY TO GET LOGGED IN. SAVE ALL MEDIA ON AN EXTERNAL USB FLASH DRIVE.  

LET BATTERY DIE - UNPLUG THE POWER SUPPLY AND WAIT FOR THE BATTERY TO DIE BY ITS SELF.

INSERT WINDOWS OS INSTALL DISK.

BOOT INTO INSTALL, ERASE ALL PARTITIONS, INSTALL WINDOWS.

(DON'T PANIC, THE OS WILL REBOOT THE MACHINE WITHOUT BEEPS, MYSTERIOUSLY, HMM BECAUSE IT ALMOST NEVER REBOOTS WITHOUT 1 LONG 2 SHORT BEEPS, AND NOW IT DOES).

SOLVED.

WHY ME? YOU ASK. 

ANSWER: YOU CONTRACTED A BOOT VIRUS, FAULTY DRIVERS (CORRUPTED DRIVERS), THE MBR (MASTER BOOT RECORD) IS CORRUPTED OR HAS A VIRUS (WHICH CAN ALSO MEAN CORRUPTED).

THE QUESTION IS BY WHOM.

I CAN SPECULATE QUITE WELL ABOUT THE ANSWER TO THAT.

NOT THE ANSWER: VIDEO CARD, MOTHERBOARD, MEMORY.

P.S.

DON'T LISTEN TO 99.9% OF FORUM MEMBERS, THEY ARE FULL OF IT. THEY DO NOT KNOW.

• Marked as answer by T1Tuner Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:33 PM
    • Edited by T1Tuner Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:42 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:32 PM