WSUS 3.0 SP2 & Windows 7 Monthly Rollup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can you tell me if we can still use WSUS v3.0 sp2 to deploy the Windows 7 new Monthly Rollup which replaces individual updates from October 2016 ?

If we can, do we have to enable the 'download express installation files' option ? I understand there are disk space implications when enabling this option ?

We will be upgrading WSUS to 2012 R2 or maybe 2016 later in the year when Windows 10 clients start getting rolled out, what is the best way to upgrade the infrastructure, we have a master server and 20 - 30 downstream servers. I'm thinking of building a new 2012 R2 WSUS server, syncing it as a replica with the master 2008 R2 wsus 3.0 server and then reconfiguring the new server to sync with Microsoft update servers and reconfiguring downstream servers to sync with new master. We will then build new downstream servers, sync with local wsus 3.0 server and then reconfigure to sync with upstream server and decom old server

Will this approach work ?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 10:43 AM

Answers

• Hi readwrite,

>I think you misunderstood my question, I know the rollup is for Windows 2008 R2, as well as Windows 7 SP1 clients, my question is, can WSUS 3.0 SP2 be used to distribute this update to WSUS clients including Windows 7 SP1, Windows 2008 R2 etc ?

Apologize for the misunderstanding.

After researching, I didn't find an official blog about whether WSUS 3.0 SP2 support the new servicing model for win7 and win8.1.

While in another blog for win10 servicing model, it has mentioned this:

"Because WSUS 3.0 SP2 is already in extended support (receiving no support at all after July 2017), and we are not shipping these improvements further down-level,  it is a good idea to start planning your WSUS migration now. "

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2016/01/22/for-those-on-wsus-3-0-sp2-or-sbs-2011/

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:15 AM

All replies

• Hi readwrite,

>Can you tell me if we can still use WSUS v3.0 sp2 to deploy the Windows 7 new Monthly Rollup which replaces individual updates from October 2016 ?

According to the TechNet blog, the changes are applied to Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2012 R2, so, I think, for WSUS server 2008R2 sp2, it may apply.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/08/15/further-simplifying-servicing-model-for-windows-7-and-windows-8-1/

While it still recommended to upgrade to WSUS 4.0 as soon as possible.

>If we can, do we have to enable the 'download express installation files' option ?

"Devices that have this rollup installed from Windows Update or WSUS will utilize express packages, keeping the monthly download size small."

I think so, we need to enable "download express installation files"

>I'm thinking of building a new 2012 R2 WSUS server, syncing it as a replica with the master 2008 R2 wsus 3.0 server and then reconfiguring the new server to sync with Microsoft update servers and reconfiguring downstream servers to sync with new master.

I would agree with this method.

Besides, if you have other questions about Windows servicing changes, you may also leave your comments in that blog. Maybe the author of the blog will give you a better answer.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:45 AM
  • Hi readwrite,

Could the above replies be of help? If yes, you may mark useful replies as answer, if not, feel free to feed back.
    Best Regards,
    Anne

Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:41 AM
  • Regarding your answer to my question:-

>Can you tell me if we can still use WSUS v3.0 sp2 to deploy the Windows 7 new Monthly Rollup which replaces individual updates from October 2016 ?

According to the TechNet blog, the changes are applied to Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2012 R2, so, I think, for WSUS server 2008R2 sp2, it may apply.

I think you misunderstood my question, I know the rollup is for Windows 2008 R2, as well as Windows 7 SP1 clients, my question is, can WSUS 3.0 SP2 be used to distribute this update to WSUS clients including Windows 7 SP1, Windows 2008 R2 etc ?

Thanks

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 3:28 PM
  • Hi readwrite,

>I think you misunderstood my question, I know the rollup is for Windows 2008 R2, as well as Windows 7 SP1 clients, my question is, can WSUS 3.0 SP2 be used to distribute this update to WSUS clients including Windows 7 SP1, Windows 2008 R2 etc ?

Apologize for the misunderstanding.

After researching, I didn't find an official blog about whether WSUS 3.0 SP2 support the new servicing model for win7 and win8.1.

While in another blog for win10 servicing model, it has mentioned this:

"Because WSUS 3.0 SP2 is already in extended support (receiving no support at all after July 2017), and we are not shipping these improvements further down-level,  it is a good idea to start planning your WSUS migration now. "

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2016/01/22/for-those-on-wsus-3-0-sp2-or-sbs-2011/

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, September 1, 2016 3:15 AM