none
MDT 2012 - Deployment of Win 7 Enterprise - Sysprep hanging in capture phase RRS feed

• Question

• I deployed a new reference machine (HP Elitebook 840 G3) with a standard Task Sequence and cusomized it (Windows Update, Desktop Settings etc.). Then i created a Sysprep and Capture Task sequence and tried to capture the customized image.

I executed the LiteTouch.wsf Script directly on the reference machine.

As for now the machine is hanging for 15 hours in the Sysprep Phase, Step "Processing generalize phase Sysprep plugins".

Is there any way to debug this process? I can't find any errors in the c:\windows\temp\DeploymentLogs Files

The setuperr.log file is clear (C:\windows\system32\sysprep\panther).

Thursday, April 7, 2016 7:26 AM

All replies

• Do You use MDT 2013 Update 2 & ADK 10 ?
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 7:33 AM
  • I use MDT 2012 Update 1 and AIK for Win7 , since I am deploying Windows 7 Enterprise x64 to the machine. (Server Enviroment is 2008 R2)
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 7:47 AM
  • Use SMS Trace tool to view log from location c:\windows\temp\DeploymentLogs 

Any errors marks to red in log file.

SMS Trace is part of

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7352

This tool is very helpful for me.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 9:50 AM
  • All Log Files are clear, no errors.

Sysprep does not stop running. The LTIsysprep log states:

"ZTIHeartbeat command has been running for 1020 minutes (process ID 3112)"

Wenn I perform a manual sysprep with the same command line and the same unattend.xml it finishes after 5 minutes. That is very odd...

Georg Karbon

Friday, April 8, 2016 2:16 PM
  • OK it seem to be machine bound:

On our new "HP EliteDesk 800 G2 DM 65W" all is working fine. Sysprep and Capture is done in 30 minutes. On our new "HP EliteBook 840 G3" Capturing does't work. Sysprep keeps working without errors even for 24h.

Maybe something bios or power related? 

Georg Karbon

• Edited by RAS Admin Friday, April 8, 2016 2:24 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 2:23 PM
  • It is generally better to use VMs for creating base images.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:26 PM
  • Hey, you found anything??? I didn't see the solution in this thread, what did you do? I have this problem right now...
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 6:14 PM
  • Would have been great to have had an answer posted to this question. I'm going through the exact same issue, using the exact same laptop as you have, and so far have not found a solution.
    Friday, May 12, 2017 4:48 PM
  • Would have been great to have had an answer posted to this question. I'm going through the exact same issue, using the exact same laptop as you have, and so far have not found a solution.

The solution is build base images on a VM.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Saturday, May 13, 2017 4:25 AM