Outlook 2013 email from alias RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a user who wants to use one of their alias to email to one of our vendors. I've tried this on my PC as well.

So we have a couple different alias for that user listed in our Exchange server. johndoe@domain1.com and johndoe@domain2.com.

From my understanding, You should be able to select one of the 2 address from Outlook when you compose a new message. It's not doing that. It's only showing johndoe@domain1.com.

I've tried added a new account with johndoe@domain2.com but it merges with the existing account and only shows the domain1 address. I've seen some work around saying to use the POP/IMAP settings. That works great but Outlook constantly shows an error with the POP/IMAP account saying it can't receive any emails. It means that I would have to touch every users who needs to use an alias. It also means they need to keep up with another place to change their AD password.

Is there a simpler solution? We are in an AD environment running Office 2013.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In your scenario, both email address johndoe@domain1.com and johndoe@domain2.com are configured for one Exchange mailbox. And it seems that johndoe@domain1.com is the primary SMTP email address for John.

When you send email to someone else, your primary email address is what typically appears in the From field in email apps. We cannot change another Alias for email sending.

The workaround for sending email with another Alias is configured with it as POP account as you mentioned. However, you must also have to make sure that this POP3 account does not receive items in Outlook to prevent duplicate messages coming in. Then follow the steps below to send messages:

1. Select your primary mailbox in Outlook, click New E-mail to open a new email message.
    2. Click the Options tab. In the Show Fields group, click From to enable the From field in all new email messages.
    3. Click From drop down list, select POP account alias to send emails.

For more information about this scenario, please refer to:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/hot/2012/04/26/how-to-add-an-alias-to-an-office-365-account-and-how-to-set-up-outlook-to-send-email-messages-as-this-alias/

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 9:45 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the suggestions above?

If any reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer to close the thread.

Best Regards,
    Winnie liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 16, 2017 10:54 AM
  • I have the pop3 going but it throws an error when they try to receive an email for the pop3 account. I already had several users complaining about the error. We don't have pop3 or smtp enable on our exchange server, so I can't really recommend this as a good fix.
    Monday, October 16, 2017 2:16 PM
  • Nope. The higher up will not approve the software.
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 7:09 PM