change the return address display name globally Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a user using Thunderbird, not sure of the version.  He is stating that when e-mail is sent from our domain, address format flast@domain.com, with a display name of last:first.  He says cannot reply to it because there is a ; in the display name and it does not comform to RFC 2821 standards.  He needs to edit the address to reply.  We have been running 2007 for 5+ years and have never had a complaint.   I am looking to see how to change the return address display name configuration globally. 

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:25 PM

Answers

• You really ought to get all the information, and I mean specifics, before posting.  The information you want should be in the header of the message so you should ask him to forward you the message intact so you can look at the headers and prove him wrong.

For your part, you can look at the display name and simple display name of the sender's account and see if it's configured properly.  Send an e-mail from that account to your own Yahoo! mailbox and look at the headers yourself.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:32 PM
  • On Tue, 14 May 2013 13:25:50 +0000, tjw61 wrote:

>I have a user using Thunderbird, not sure of the version. He is stating that when e-mail is sent from our domain, address format flast@domain.com, with a display name of last:first. He says cannot reply to it because there is a ; in the display name and it does not comform to RFC 2821 standards. He needs to edit the address to reply. We have been running 2007 for 5+ years and have never had a complaint. I am looking to see how to change the return address display name configuration globally.

If you have a semicolon (or a comma, or other "special" or "contol"
    characters) in your display names then the display name must be
    surrounded by quotes and the e-mail address enclosed within "<" and
    ">".

E.g.:

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:35 AM

All replies

• You really ought to get all the information, and I mean specifics, before posting.  The information you want should be in the header of the message so you should ask him to forward you the message intact so you can look at the headers and prove him wrong.

For your part, you can look at the display name and simple display name of the sender's account and see if it's configured properly.  Send an e-mail from that account to your own Yahoo! mailbox and look at the headers yourself.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:32 PM
  • On Tue, 14 May 2013 13:25:50 +0000, tjw61 wrote:

>I have a user using Thunderbird, not sure of the version. He is stating that when e-mail is sent from our domain, address format flast@domain.com, with a display name of last:first. He says cannot reply to it because there is a ; in the display name and it does not comform to RFC 2821 standards. He needs to edit the address to reply. We have been running 2007 for 5+ years and have never had a complaint. I am looking to see how to change the return address display name configuration globally.

If you have a semicolon (or a comma, or other "special" or "contol"
    characters) in your display names then the display name must be
    surrounded by quotes and the e-mail address enclosed within "<" and
    ">".

E.g.:

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:35 AM
  • Thanks for the replies. 
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:07 AM