Querry on CAB file support for Device metadata service in windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need some clarity on the following issues regarding the device metadata service in windows 7.

I want to add device stage support into my MTP device, however i am facing some issue with the device metadata service(CAB file).
       When a portable device is connected to a windows 7 pc for the first time how does the cab file(containing the device metadata) get installed. My understanding wrt previous windows versions was that, while loading and installing drivers for the first time(from vendor CD), even the cab file is transferred. How is this different in windows 7 and what is the sequence flow(commands). Is it necessary for a device to have a cab file too? How is this requested and transferred to the PC.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:13 AM

Answers

• For some driver installations in Windows 7 RC, if you install a driver from a downloaded driver pack, or from CD, the contents of cabs, or the whole folder that include installation data will be copied to the folder C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository, and then driver will be installed from that resource. However, it is just process of part of installations. Some of driver installation program will extract data to a temporary folder (in some cases you could define the location, and sometimes it will auto-create a temp folder). Those folders may be deleted after installation, but sometimes not. Another case is that the installation extracts data into the temporary folder of your profile and install driver from it. All those behaviors are controlled by the design of the driver installation program, but not by Windows 7 RC system.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, July 27, 2009 3:41 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:58 AM

All replies

• For some driver installations in Windows 7 RC, if you install a driver from a downloaded driver pack, or from CD, the contents of cabs, or the whole folder that include installation data will be copied to the folder C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository, and then driver will be installed from that resource. However, it is just process of part of installations. Some of driver installation program will extract data to a temporary folder (in some cases you could define the location, and sometimes it will auto-create a temp folder). Those folders may be deleted after installation, but sometimes not. Another case is that the installation extracts data into the temporary folder of your profile and install driver from it. All those behaviors are controlled by the design of the driver installation program, but not by Windows 7 RC system.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, July 27, 2009 3:41 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:58 AM
  • Hi,
    thanks for your reply.

however i need further clarification.
    as far as my understanding goes, with device stage 7 on windows 7 pc, it is possible to get the cab file from the device itself rather than from a CD. in this scenario, does the PC automatically request for the CAB file from the device. We tried using the service on MTP simulator, but the PC did not automatically request for the CAB file and hence we could not transfer it.
    however, the cab file could be manually copied from mtpsim to PC. can u please tell me wat the procedure is exactly(command sequence). 
    Monday, July 27, 2009 12:33 PM