none
Windows10 Setting Default App associations with DISM after sysprep not working.

Question

• Hi Everyone

I am working on creating new Windows10 images for our organization.  I am using CopyProfile during sysprep to create a default Windows profile with all our settings.  For some reason the default app associations are getting cleared during sysprep. I need to find a way to set them after deployment.

I have tried using the DISM command to export my app associations to an .xml before sysprep.  and again import them after imaging. I have tried running the DISM import command manually and setting it in Group policy under “Set a default associations config file” . Both do not seem to have any effect on Default application settings.

I have also tried manually copying the contents of my DefaultApp.xml export to the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file under system32. This also does not change anything

I'm wondering if anyone has run into a similar issue and could offer some advice.

The help is much appreciated

Thank You

Chris Parsons

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 3:10 PM

All replies

• I haven't figured out a fix for it yet, but I've tried all the same stuff you have (and some other backass solutions like renaming the folder and creating hard links to point back to IE11), and nothing's worked for me either. Just replying so I can follow your thread in case someone else has figured it out.  

For what it's worth, when I open my OEMDefaultAssociations XML file, I can see that IE is actually set as the default browser, but Edge still runs whenever I click a link, and when I go to the Default Apps settings page, Edge is still there.   Super annoying. 

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 6:11 PM
  • Hi Chris Parsons12,

The main issue is to deploy the default program configurations, right?

I have tested the gpo "Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\Windows Components\File Explorer\Set a default associations configuration file" on a Windows 10 1607 Enterprise machine, it could work well. Please update to the latest Windows 10 version then check the symptom again.
    Please remember to restart the machine to make the gp take effection and run "gpresult /h C:\gpresult.html" to ensure the gpo has been applied to the machine.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 7:15 AM
  • Hi Chris Parsons12,

The main issue is to deploy the default program configurations, right?

I have tested the gpo "Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\Windows Components\File Explorer\Set a default associations configuration file" on a Windows 10 1607 Enterprise machine, it could work well. Please update to the latest Windows 10 version then check the symptom again.
    Please remember to restart the machine to make the gp take effection and run "gpresult /h C:\gpresult.html" to ensure the gpo has been applied to the machine.

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Where mine is being weird is that I can run the GPResult and verify that the XML file is being imported.  I can even run DISM /online /get-defaultappassociations and see that Internet Explorer is supposed to be the default browser.  It's just that Edge keeps opening whenever you click on a link. 
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 12:51 PM
  • Hi SYN_ACK_87,

"see that Internet Explorer is supposed to be the default browser.  It's just that Edge keeps opening whenever you click on a link."
    It seems that some configuration is not included. Check the configurations both in "choose default apps by file type" and "Choose defaults apps by protocol", configure all the Microsoft edge settings to "Internet Explorer". Then export the xml file and deploy it again.

Best regards

Friday, March 10, 2017 6:48 AM
  • Hi SYN_ACK_87,

"see that Internet Explorer is supposed to be the default browser.  It's just that Edge keeps opening whenever you click on a link."
    It seems that some configuration is not included. Check the configurations both in "choose default apps by file type" and "Choose defaults apps by protocol", configure all the Microsoft edge settings to "Internet Explorer". Then export the xml file and deploy it again.

Best regards

I checked, and the default app was set in both locations.  I have no idea why this fixed it, but I just kept using DISM to import the app associations, rebooted the computer, and repeated that process about four or five times. 

On the last time, the computer came up and started using IE as the default browser.  It's been a beast to replicate on my other test VM's, but it seems like there's something that (after enough DISM commands and forced restarts) is finally flipping. 

Friday, March 10, 2017 1:00 PM
  • Hi SYN_ACK_87,

I am glad the issue has been resolved and thanks for updating.

Best regards

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:13 AM