none
Contract Management vs Project Management RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to post a blog question to a conundrum one of Resource Managers has posed to out Project Server 2010 development team.

I work for smsmt.com, an Australian-based IT consultancy firm.

The problem is this:

As part of setting up contracts with clients, a Sales person will want to ‘block out’ a time period for a Resource assignment, with an indication of the % allocation. Example: Fred will work at ABig Bank plc from x date to y date at 60% loading.

However, the project manager looks at allocation very differently – they deal with the micro-management of Resources, and work within the start-end dates the Sales person has contracted to.

We assign Consultants in a block of time – e.g. even if the Project Manager’s Gantt chart shows Fred being ‘available’ for a week, Fred can’t be taken off the contract (can happen if the PM wants some slack in the schedule).

When searching for available Resources, we’d want to look for resources that are ‘block booked’, not by task-to-task allocations. In the slack time example, Fred is not really free for assignment to other projects.

We have read all the recommended books, and are looking for someone to discuss the challenge with. If you could post this as a blo, or better contact me via email, that would be great.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:53 AM

Answers

• Have you looked into the Resource Plan functionality in Project Server 2010?
    There should be ample online material documenting how it worked in 2007,
    and it's essentially the same AFAIK in 2010.

That would allow you to book resources in a block, and to combine that (or
    not) with specific project task estimates.

- Andrew Lavinsky

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:48 PM

All replies

• Have you looked into the Resource Plan functionality in Project Server 2010?
    There should be ample online material documenting how it worked in 2007,
    and it's essentially the same AFAIK in 2010.

That would allow you to book resources in a block, and to combine that (or
    not) with specific project task estimates.

- Andrew Lavinsky

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Hello Steve,

That's a great question and I think the answer goes back to how your organization wants to manage resources.  For example, if you do want Sales people to block out a consultants availability, I would do something like this.

Create a project call "Proposal Project A".

Define high level deliverables.

Build team and select consultants as required.  Define as proposed or committed.

Assign to consultants to deliverable, assign resource percent, and using all the project management tools as need to model the proposal.

What this will do is allocate the consultants time for projects.

I hope that gets you on your way!

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP,MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:24 PM