MSE RRS feed

• Question

• I looked at my MSE several times today and noticed that the definitions were not updated. There were several times when I was not using the computer and I wonder why the definitions did not update automatically.

The MSE still had definitions for 8/27/2011.

I finally decided to do a manual update for the definitions and the updates for 8/28/2011 did download.

Why didn't the definitions for 8/28/2011 download automatically?

Or am I missing something? I don't believe there is something I need to check in the MSE program as I believe the updates are done automatically.

Please advise and thank you.

Monday, August 29, 2011 2:20 AM

Answers

• This question should be asked in the Microsoft Security Essentials Answers Forum at the following address

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect

Anyway, Microsoft Security Essentials automatically updates its definition by using Windows Update: if Windows Update is configured to automatically download and install all the available updates, it will download and install the most recent definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials too.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    • Edited by Luigi BrunoMVP Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by JCW2 Monday, January 30, 2012 3:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by arnavsharmaModerator Wednesday, July 10, 2013 10:18 AM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:33 PM
  • The updates typically download once per day, so if it is set to download at night and you check the definition date during the day, it will appear to be a day old...  Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool

Now I'm also confused.  There is a setting for when to SCAN, but I can find no setting for when to UPDATE.  (I should add that I'm running a copy of MSE that I just downloaded and installed on my XP SP3 machine.)

I also have the same question as AliceZ:  Although the help says that the definitions are "updated automatically," they are apparently updated before every scheduled scan (default is only once a week!), and there's something also about "Dynamic Signature Service," I see nothing about who controls the update time or frequency.  Does the program check in regularly with Microsoft?  Are new updates "pushed" to my computer by Microsoft when available?  Or what?

Thanks for any clarification. -- JCW2

This is a Windows XP forum, not a Microsoft Security Forum.

For questions about MSE and problems with MSE, go to the appropriate website @ http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx or http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/start-mse1

This particular TechNet Forum is designed to assist Windows XP users with the installation of Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP.

If your issue is not related to installation issues with SP3, please post your question in the more appropriate Microsoft Answers Forum.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by Rick Dee Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:34 PM
    • Edited by Rick Dee Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:37 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:34 PM

All replies

• The updates typically download once per day, so if it is set to download at night and you check the definition date during the day, it will appear to be a day old.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Monday, August 29, 2011 3:08 AM
  • The updates typically download once per day, so if it is set to download at night and you check the definition date during the day, it will appear to be a day old...  Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Now I'm also confused.  There is a setting for when to SCAN, but I can find no setting for when to UPDATE.  (I should add that I'm running a copy of MSE that I just downloaded and installed on my XP SP3 machine.)

I also have the same question as AliceZ:  Although the help says that the definitions are "updated automatically," they are apparently updated before every scheduled scan (default is only once a week!), and there's something also about "Dynamic Signature Service," I see nothing about who controls the update time or frequency.  Does the program check in regularly with Microsoft?  Are new updates "pushed" to my computer by Microsoft when available?  Or what?

• Edited by JCW2 Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:10 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:09 PM
  • This question should be asked in the Microsoft Security Essentials Answers Forum at the following address

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect

Anyway, Microsoft Security Essentials automatically updates its definition by using Windows Update: if Windows Update is configured to automatically download and install all the available updates, it will download and install the most recent definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials too.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    • Edited by Luigi BrunoMVP Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by JCW2 Monday, January 30, 2012 3:18 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:33 PM

This is a Windows XP forum, not a Microsoft Security Forum.

For questions about MSE and problems with MSE, go to the appropriate website @ http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx or http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/start-mse1

This particular TechNet Forum is designed to assist Windows XP users with the installation of Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP.

If your issue is not related to installation issues with SP3, please post your question in the more appropriate Microsoft Answers Forum.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by Rick Dee Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:34 PM
    • Edited by Rick Dee Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:37 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:34 PM