none
DPM and data retention used for Global KPI reporting. RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I am new to DPM and am trying to get a general understand how report trending is performed.  Let me digress, in the past, with another vendor software, a separate database was created and an extract/import process was created to manage a repository of entries with servers backup’s Jobs, tasks and other attributes. Then a custom application with VBS using ODBC was used to create all the required Corporate, alerting and local reporting components.

First, an import/export process is not an ideal solution in a decentralized environment and I would like to stay away from it. DPM is not as centralized, that I can see, and does not lend itself to a centralized level of reporting and alerting. I also do not want to support a de-centralized solution of any kind with possibly 50 -100 DPM servers.

Can someone recommend a direction/framwork for me follow that I can develop a process to meet these types of needs?

Regards,
    Peter

Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:04 PM

Answers

• In DPM 2010, we have exposed database views which have all the interesting information about your backups. You can build a centralized reporting system using these views and DPM Powershell cmdlets.

We are evaluating centralized management in DPM 2012 and you will be happy to see most of your concerns addressed.

Thanks, Kapil Malhotra [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 4:35 AM