Reinstalling WSUS on SCCM Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Windows Server 2012 server with SCCM 2012 SP1 and WSUS.  I began to have an issue where updates were not properly downloading, the system was not accepting the EULA automatically and a few other things as well.  In addition the WSUSContent folder was becoming very large and taking up all of the free space on my server.  I tried changing the settings so that it didn't store anything on the server.  I would hit 'OK' and it would tell me that I couldn't make any changes because another item was still in process.  When discussing this with friends, I was told that it sounded as though someone went through WSUS configuration when they should not have and that this was causing the issues I was having.

So today, I uninstalled the SUP in SCCM and then uninstalled WSUS.  Once that completed, I installed WSUS but was having an issue where the post installation task was failing.  I read that you had to run wsusutil as an administrator in powershell, which worked.  Once that was done, I attempted to open the WSUS console and was prompted to configure it, at which point I hit cancel.  However, the console opened and it would appear as though it was configured.  My understanding was that you should cancel the configuration and you should get an error when opening the console.

The reason for the post is because it would appear as though I am heading in the same downward spiral with almost 30 GB of space being taken by the updates and that number is growing.  The console is configured to store the information locally and won't let me change it because a synchronization is in progress.  I thought I was following instructions but I only found ones for Server 2008 R2 and not 2012...so maybe the old rules don't apply anymore.

Am I doing something wrong?  Should I not have opened the console?  Should I have gone through the configuration and configured it in a specific way?

I thank you for any assistance.

Monday, March 10, 2014 8:05 PM

Answers

• The WSUS does not download the content actually. The content will be download to the Software Group Package location which you specify in SCCM. Check your setting again. When you choose integrate the WSUS with SCCM, the settings of WSUS should be controlled by SCCM. Although, you can open the WSUS console, pls do not configure the settings.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:04 PM

All replies

• when uninstalling WSUS, did you also remove the sus database?

I tend to also rename the existing regkey under  HKLM\software\Microsoft\updateservices and the wsus contentdirectory

this way when reinstalling, I am pretty sure it will not re-use those things again

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:35 AM
  • The WSUS does not download the content actually. The content will be download to the Software Group Package location which you specify in SCCM. Check your setting again. When you choose integrate the WSUS with SCCM, the settings of WSUS should be controlled by SCCM. Although, you can open the WSUS console, pls do not configure the settings.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:04 PM