Colorizing the command prompt RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to ask, or turn it into a suggestion:

Is there any intention to improve the command prompt windows behavior in Windows 7.

As I'm a Ruby on Rails developer, and we use the command prompt a LOT, would be nice if the Windows command prompt have as many features as the OX/X console, or even Linux console.

There is bunch of functionality that would be nice to have on windows console.

My two most desired are:

Easy native colorize support (no ANSI code), error messages in red for instance.
    Tabs for different sessions on the same window.

Regards.
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 3:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. As I know, currently there isn't such feature for the command prompt in Windows 7. We can customize the font, layout and colors in command prompt properties except native colorize support. However, I would like to recommend you to use Windows Powershell in Windows 7. This provides much selective options for customers, error message is in red in Windows Powershell as your suggestion. BTW, I'd like to forward your constructive suggestion to our related DEV team. Hope it can be added in the future version of command prompt. Thanks for your efforts and understanding.

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao
    • Proposed as answer by SilentStorm Monday, September 21, 2009 9:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, September 21, 2009 10:22 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 9:09 AM