SAN/ISCSI Drivers in Windows Pre-Installation Environment Drivers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

After a brief research on the issue that we have been experiencing in our environment - Now I am at good position to ask relevant question.

First, please understand the situation as below.

We have MDT created ISO of Windows Server 2012 and R2 which has been running fine on DELL & HP hardwares and VMware platform as well. all is fine on that as long as we deploy ISO on local harddisk.

We are now trying to deploy the same ISO on to SAN and ISCSI LUNs and it just does not work. I tried it over SAN LUN and observed that LUN is visible onto ESX installation and is not visible in Windows 2012/R2 ISO installation at all.

This is not a hardware issue since LUN is visible in ESX installation. further investigation took me to windows preinstallation environment that get loaded up and which help you to connect to deployment share and then Task sequence begin.

what I think is that these drivers (Storage and Network for storage devices either HBA or ISCSI cards LUNs) are not included into Windows Pre-Installation Environment so the LUNs are not detected (I verified it by running diskpart and found LUNs are not visible at all there).

Now - I know how to add drivers to OS after OS is installed in MDT. But to be really honest, I am still learning MDT - so do NOT know how to add drivers into Windows Pre-installation Environment at all.

I have researched over internet and found that Simple way to add these drivers are Offline addition by mounting Boot.WIM file of OS and injecting drivers into that image and then committing changes and then finally - reimporting that OS sources into MDT console under Operating system folder.....re-generate Media and update deployment share as well..

But I have a confusion - I see things....

1) WinPE drivers - Initial Windows Pre-Installation Environment drivers (not clear and need assistance)

2) OS Drivers - After OS is installed (this is clear to me ...so no need to discuss this part)

I see "winpe.wim" file exists at below path as well:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\en-us

and Now I am confused which file do I need to mount using DISM tool and add drivers to ...

Is it WinPe.WIM file or Boot.WIM file....

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:59 AM

All replies

• If you read the link I posted in the other thread it should clear thing up: http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

If you are using MDT you have no need to use DISM directly.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 5:11 PM
  • Please tolerate me because I do not know so much into MDT and still using it and learning it... :) Thanks 

I actually have gone through it and things are more clear to me than they used to be...

Just to tell you about our current MDT setup :

We do NOT have selection profiles into our environment and the Inject Drivers action in Task Sequence does not inject anything and have nothing changed - its value is still by default. Because we are installing drivers after OS is installed and in State Restore phase as EXE format...that means drivers for HP servers are getting installed as an application (having EXE extension) and drivers for DELL servers are also getting installed as an application (having EXE extension) ... both of them are getting installed as silent mode (all that EXE options)...

so there is no need to have selection profile and following a total control method because We are just creating a Media with everything we have... and we provide this Media to users (the ISO file by the way) and they run it on their servers...be it hardware HP/DELL or VMware.

So because we do NOT have Out of box drivers - thats reason I am little confused...although the article you shared has cleared out my doubts...but because of no selection profile that we have right now...I am confused.

Query:

Please help me understand one thing..

1. I will add both HP Servers and DELL servers drivers (for SAN and ISCSI) into WinPe folder in Out of Box Drivers. Here, I will import all HP and DELL drivers into one folder because we have different method of installing them after OS as EXE ...so these are just for WinPE Pre-installation environment so I dont have to worry too much ...hence, I will import and keep them all in one folder be it for HP or DELL..... Please correct me if I am wrong here
    2. I will then, create an selection profile named "WinPE Drivers" and select WinPE folder there.
    3. then, in Deployment share properties - I will make necessary changes so that WinPE gets drivers from this selection profile...
    4. Then, I think its good to select value Nothing in Inject Driver action in Task Sequence because we already have different method for Drivers installation within OS.. EXE as I said...

This way - I can have additional drivers (which are required for Pre-Installation communication with SAN/ISCSI LUN) into WinPE (by Configuring WinPe settings of Deployment share properties) 

AND

We will have no impact of this all mixing of drivers (HP and DELL - all in one) in our task sequence because we have set Nothing in Inject Drivers and EXEs are in place as well.. :)

Tell me if this is right...appreciate your help..

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 6:23 AM
  • If you are installing all drivers via exe that sounds like it should work.

As for the WinPE your plan sounds like it would work given that you do exactly what is in the 'Drivers for Windows PE (the boot image)' section of that blog post. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 5:37 PM
  • Hello,

Sorry for late response...I was engaged in some other critical activities.

so - I tested and It detect the ISCSI LUN.

I have configured the ISCSI LUN as first boot device followed by CD rom where ISO is mapped.

It detects the LUN and does not do anything because no OS is installed over it. Later it go to CD rom and boot start from there.

Pre-install sequence is fine and OS is also installed properly. It reboots after OS Install Phase and then it just lead to nothing. Becase system boots from LUN - and reach to no where in MDT wizard to continue with other task sequence..

If I intentially boot it from CD rom then - It just leads to no where.

May be - If someone could help me to understand how Boot from ISCSI process works in MDT because it involves multiple reboot during installation in order to reach to 0 errors 0 warning screen ..

Thanks!

Friday, July 10, 2015 11:07 AM
  • There is nothing explicitly done to handle iSCSI in MDT.  Can you post your logs to some sharing site like OneDrive and share them?

Friday, July 10, 2015 5:30 PM
  • Okay!

I see the issue seems to be related to Boot Device which is ISCSI LUN in this case.

The OS is 100% deployed in Install OS Phase followed by a proper reboot.

I have 2 options after reboot :

A) The system boots from ISCSI LUN and it brings to below screen and after some time it just give me error windows needs to repair...currupt etc..

B) I ask system not to boot from ISCSI LUN because OS process is not complete and it go to next boot device which is CDROM and there I do not touch anything because the process will automatically pick from there. It brings to above screen as well and at this stage (above screenshot) - It should do "Make device Ready %" but instead after some time - it just bring BSOD - INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE.

What I understood is that MDT is not able to set ISCSI LUN as boot device or something else... 

Any idea...

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 5:23 AM
  • Not without logs...

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 5:42 PM