none
Resource Availability - Limit by Week and Vary by Week RRS feed

• Question

• I have an odd situation.  I have some resources that are constrained (I don't have a view of the constraint) outside my sphere of influence.  Over the next 6 weeks, I have meetings that the constrained resources need to participate in.  An example of one the resources constraints are:

• Week 1 = 2hrs
    • Week 2 = 4hrs
    • Week 3 = 4 hrs
    • Week 4 = 8hrs
    • Week 5 = 4hrs
    • Week 6 = 8hrs

We are scheduling meetings in 2hr chunks.  

Is there a way to set up the max hrs on a weekly basis and make that variable over the weeks.  Then I can assign resources and level to see how long it will take to get all the meetings out of the way.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:18 PM

All replies

• mattstoc --

To summarize, what I believe you want to do is to show in a project that your team members have their time consumed by meetings that occur during a 6-week time period.  If you know the actual day the meeting will occur, you could create a task for each meeting and then assign the resources who need to attend the meeting.  If you do not know the exact day of each meeting, I would recommend you create 6 one-week tasks and set the Start No Earlier Than constraint on each task to force it to start on Monday of each week.  Then I would apply select the first meeting task, right click anywhere in the Gantt Chart pane, and select the Show Split item on the shortcut menu.  This will display the Task Entry view with the Gantt Chart in the top pane and the Task Form in the bottom pane.

In the Task Form pane, select the names of the resources who will attend the first meeting, but do not click the OK button yet.  For each of your resources who will be attending the meeting, enter their anticipated work in the Work column, and then click the OK button.  This will book each resource's time on a weekly basis.  You can see the Remaining Work for each resource in either the Resource Usage view or the Task Usage view by week.

Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:53 PM
  • I appreciate the feedback.  I think I need to better explain. 

Normally in <g class="gr_ gr_1283 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="1283" id="1283"><g class="gr_ gr_1284 gr-alert gr_gramm undefined Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="1284" id="1284">project</g></g> I set a person as available for x hrs per day.  Then I assign him tasks till I use that time (or get the work completed).

I conceptually want to:

1.        Instead of x hrs per day, I want him to be available x hrs per week
    2.        I also want to be able to vary the available hrs on a weekly basis.

I think I can accomplish the variable portion via that resource's calendar.  However, I'm not sure how to get Project to treat the week as the unit of reference/measure rather than the day.

Thanks again.  Hopefully this is more clear.

Friday, April 15, 2016 12:06 AM
  • You can contour a resource's max units over time. The Resource Information dialog has that capacity. However, I don't see this as being terribly useful.  

I would follow Dale's advice and create the meetings.  Assign the resources to those meetings at 100%.  Use the Resource Leveling command (set to week by week) to resolve overallocations and allow other tasks to be split.

Friday, April 15, 2016 1:43 PM