none
sharer file and critical path RRS feed

• Question

• I'm Using Mircosoft Project 2007

Hello I have created a resource pool & 7 seperate projects (all using the resource pool).  I then created a sharer Project to bring the 7 seperate projects together.

I have a problem with the crtitical path not working.  It works on all the seperate Projects but as soon as I work on the sharer Project & save & update it - the Critical Path disappears.  It remains on the 7 individual projects but not the sharer one.

Can anyone help?

ps - I have selected the option "Calculate miltiple Critical Tasks" (should I also do this for the 7 seperate project files?)

Sorry Just found out that if I go into the 7 seperate Project files & Save them individually (after having updated them in the sharer file) then I go back to the sharer file the critical Path is suprisingly updated,  Is this a Projecy 2007 glitch or do I have to do this every time.  If so it defeates the object of working in a sherer file?

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 12:25 PM

All replies

• Quinton, there has been at least one question on a similar topic recently. The short answer is that the free slack and total slack values are calculated using the data that is available when the calculation is done. If you have external dependency links between projects - as you would typically do between sub-projects - the external link itself does not include any information about the slack. This is only available when the successor task is available - i.e. the sub-project containing the successor task is open. So, when you have the master project and all the sub-projects open you will see a critical path for the entire program traversing sub-projects as appropriate. If you have just one project open, the critical path will be applicable to that project only and any external links will not be taken into account.

The reference to the Multiple Critical Paths option is a different topic. When this option is unchecked, the end of the critical path is taken to be the end date of the project - the end latest end date of any task. When the option is checked each task without a successor is taken as being the end of a critical path.

Graham

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:52 PM
  • You're using Project 2007. Before touching any of your project files again, make sure you have SP3 for Project 2007 and download and install the latest Cumulative Updates for it as well. Even after SP3 master file bugs were being fixed.

As usual for linked windows files, never rename, move, over-write or store on WAN servers any of the files. File corruption will happen, its just a matter of when if you do.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:09 PM