Group with databases from a specific DBEngine. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to override the Percentage Change in DB Space monitor for all databases on a specific instance. I create the group in the UI, specify I want SQL Databases with Host DBEngine InstanceName (Note: also tried DisplayName) = MyInstance. I get the below error message when I try to finish the wizard. Can anyone help? Running latest SQL MP with R2.

Date: 11/5/2009 10:27:51 AM
    Application: System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2
    Application Version: 6.1.7221.0
    Severity: Error
    : Processing the template failed. See inner exception for details.
    Verification failed with [1] errors:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Error 1:
    : Failed to verify Discovery [UINameSpace3f07462eea4044afabe2156838f366e6.Group.DiscoveryRule]
    Failed to verify referenced module : ID=GroupPopulationDataSourceInvalid configuration specified for Module [GroupPopulationDataSource]Cannot find specified MPSubElement : InstanceName, (on MPElement= SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine) specified in expression: $MPElement[Name="SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine"]/InstanceName$
    Failed to verify Discovery [UINameSpace3f07462eea4044afabe2156838f366e6.Group.DiscoveryRule]Failed to verify referenced module : ID=GroupPopulationDataSourceInvalid configuration specified for Module [GroupPopulationDataSource]Cannot find specified MPSubElement : InstanceName, (on MPElement= SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine) specified in expression: $MPElement[Name="SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine"]/InstanceName$
    : Verification failed with [1] errors:
    Error 1:
    : Failed to verify Discovery [UINameSpace3f07462eea4044afabe2156838f366e6.Group.DiscoveryRule]
    Failed to verify referenced module : ID=GroupPopulationDataSourceInvalid configuration specified for Module [GroupPopulationDataSource]Cannot find specified MPSubElement : InstanceName, (on MPElement= SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine) specified in expression: $MPElement[Name="SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine"]/InstanceName$

Failed to verify Discovery [UINameSpace3f07462eea4044afabe2156838f366e6.Group.DiscoveryRule]Failed to verify referenced module : ID=GroupPopulationDataSourceInvalid configuration specified for Module [GroupPopulationDataSource]Cannot find specified MPSubElement : InstanceName, (on MPElement= SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine) specified in expression: $MPElement[Name="SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine"]/InstanceName$
    : Failed to verify referenced module : ID=GroupPopulationDataSource
    Invalid configuration specified for Module [GroupPopulationDataSource]Cannot find specified MPSubElement : InstanceName, (on MPElement= SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine) specified in expression: $MPElement[Name="SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine"]/InstanceName$
    : Invalid configuration specified for Module [GroupPopulationDataSource]
    Cannot find specified MPSubElement : InstanceName, (on MPElement= SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine) specified in expression: $MPElement[Name="SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine"]/InstanceName$
    : Cannot find specified MPSubElement : InstanceName, (on MPElement= SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine) specified in expression: $MPElement[Name="SQLServer!Microsoft.SQLServer.DBEngine"]/InstanceName$

Chris Summers
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 4:29 PM

Answers

• It looks like the group populator module is not writing the necessary references to your MP - which are needed.  It is using the "host" class, which in your case is "SQL DB Engine".... however - the properties are you are choosing are not directly defined properties of that class... they are INHERITED properties from a parent class, Instance Name is from SQL Role, and Display Name is from "Entity".  This is causing the issue.

I'd recommend using a differente property, something that is directly a discovered property of SQL DB Engine class... such as, "SQL Server Windows Service Name" or "Connection String"

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris

It looks like you get this error creating the group?

Can you create other groups based on other criteria without a problem?

What management pack are you saving your group to? Have you been saving groups (and overrides) to the default management pack?

Cheers

Graham

View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Yes, it happens when I try to create the group. I can create groups with other criteria without an issue. I just created a group with just SQL Databases with a specific name with no problem. If I try to do a database with any of the DB Engine properties it fails.

Here's the criteria:

( Object is SQL Database AND ( SQL DB Engine.Display Name

Equals MyInstance) AND True )

Chris Summers
    Friday, November 6, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Anyone? Am I the only one with this problem?
    Chris Summers
    Friday, November 13, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Can you post up the references section of the management pack that you are saving the group to? There seem to be a fair number of "Failed to verify referenced module" errors.

Cheers

Graham

View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Friday, November 13, 2009 3:33 PM
  • Created a new MP called SQL Server Overrides, here is what it looks like after trying to save the group, pretty much blank.

<References>
          <Reference Alias="SystemCenter">
            <ID>Microsoft.SystemCenter.Library</ID>
            <Version>6.1.7221.0</Version>
            <PublicKeyToken>31bf3856ad364e35</PublicKeyToken>
          </Reference>
        </References>

Chris Summers
    Monday, November 16, 2009 12:57 PM
  • It looks like the group populator module is not writing the necessary references to your MP - which are needed.  It is using the "host" class, which in your case is "SQL DB Engine".... however - the properties are you are choosing are not directly defined properties of that class... they are INHERITED properties from a parent class, Instance Name is from SQL Role, and Display Name is from "Entity".  This is causing the issue.

I'd recommend using a differente property, something that is directly a discovered property of SQL DB Engine class... such as, "SQL Server Windows Service Name" or "Connection String"

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:49 AM