KVM switch, can this be fixed? RRS feed

• Question

• I see that there have been several threads about this but most are a couple years old.

I have been using a KVM switch (an Avocent Switchview DVI) for several years now in this configuration: I have four computers hooked up to the switch; two of the four computers have a second (dual) monitor; One is running Windows 7(has an Asus Geforce GTX 660TI video card) and one is running Windows 8 (has an Asus Geforce GTX 570 video card). On each of these computers the monitor that is attached to the switch is designated as the "Main Display". With this switch the setup worked flawlessly, I switched back and forth without any problems.

Just recently I upgraded my main monitor to one that supported WQHD 2560X1440 and I discovered that the Avocent switch didn't support dual link DVI or anything over 1920X1080 so I bought a new Startech displayport switch and switched all my computers over and now I'm having similar problems to what some other people have had i.e. when I switch from one of the computers that has a dual monitor the computer beeps and acts as if the cable to the switch has been unplugged i.e. all open windows are moved to the secondary monitor; and on the Windows 7 computer the start button and taskbar are automatically moved to the second monitor. This is an incredible nuisance since when I switch back I have to move all my open program Windows back to where I want them. I am using the latest nVidia drivers (314.22) on both computers.

In one of the previous threads it was mentioned that this kind of problem could be fixed by cutting one of the pins on the DVI cable but I don't believe that's an option on a displayport cable. Is there anyway to turn off monitor detection in either windows or the nVidia driver to prevent this problem?
    • Edited by NormAtHome Friday, March 29, 2013 11:29 PM font problems
    Friday, March 29, 2013 11:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 1, 2013 3:26 AM
  • What you need is a KVM Switch with Dual link DVI support. If you buy a KVM that supports DVI Dual link you would not have any issues. I have used KVMSwitchTech's DVI KVM Switch solutions in the past and they work really well. Please make sure you are using a KVM with Dual link DVI video support to avoid issues and problems.
    • Proposed as answer by Peterson_Xiao Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:10 AM
    Monday, April 1, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Johnashdown123's idea, could you please double confirm that?

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:13 AM
  • I suppose that's a possibility, but I took a look at the KVMSwitchTech website and DVI KVM switches go from 2 port to 8 port (no 4 port) and the 8 port is is over $700 which is way outside my budget. Up until two or three years ago I was still using an old Cybex Switchview VGA switch (which cost $85 10 years ago) but those had problems with anything over 1620X1080; after that I went to an Avocent Switchview DVI which cost $200-$220 and it worked flawlessly without the problem that I'm having now, until I tried going to 2550X1440 on my new monitor. If I'm going to go to another DVI switch (or a different displayport switch), I'm sorry to say it has to be within my budget $200 to $300 maximum. I mean if the Switchview DVI worked for $220, there should be something out there that will work that's in my price range. I've been looking but so far I haven't found anything that fits the bill.

I guess I understand why Windows consolidates all open Windows onto the second monitor when I switch to a different computer but why can't there be an option to allow Windows to restore the Windows back where they were when I switch back and the main monitor reattaches?

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:01 PM
  • I don't know how I missed this thread: Disable Monitor Off Connection How?

This thread was started more than two years ago and there are literally dozens of people on this thread with this same problem as what I'm describing and they have all been begging for Microsoft for an update or patch to allow this behavior to be disabled so that this isn't a problem. I think that most of them have given up by now and several have voiced their frustration that Microsoft has not responded to this.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:03 AM
  • Hi,

If you really think this is an issue or would like be changed, I suggest you submit a request on http://connect.microsoft.com/.

Thank you.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, April 5, 2013 6:34 AM
  • Hi Peterson:

I've been tied up and haven't had time to look into this but when I looked, I can't find any listing for Windows 7 or 8 to make a bug or suggestion?

- Norm

Monday, April 22, 2013 12:58 PM