none
Exchange 2007 - Archiving On Exchange Server Not Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am working within an Exchange 2007 environment and we are looking at ways to lower the user mailbox size by archiving older mail. I've looked into extracting mail via PST from Exchange then scripting rules to only include older mail but this may become cumbersome due to having this script as a scheduled task to append.

I've looked into Managed Folders but I believe this will tack onto the size of the primary mailbox and not solve our request to free up storage on the user mailbox and Exchange Server. I understand users can set archive from their desktops but we'd like to have full control over this process on the server-side. These mailboxes are pretty large in size, so creating a secondary PST may not be the best option espieically as it needs to be accessed daily throughout the network.

Does anyone have any ideas on how we can lower the mailbox size by archiving mail from the server and not the client system (Outlook)?
    Friday, May 8, 2015 2:48 AM

Answers

• The most effective method is a prohibit send quota.

Managed Default Folders is the standard feature you have at your disposal.

Consider upgrading to Exchange 2013 where you can have Online Archive mailboxes, or deploy a third-party archiving solution.  I wouldn't wish PSTs on anyone.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Friday, May 8, 2015 4:15 AM

All replies

• The most effective method is a prohibit send quota.

Managed Default Folders is the standard feature you have at your disposal.

Consider upgrading to Exchange 2013 where you can have Online Archive mailboxes, or deploy a third-party archiving solution.  I wouldn't wish PSTs on anyone.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Friday, May 8, 2015 4:15 AM
  • Hi,

In additional, here’s an article about Personal Archives and Online Archives for Exchange 2010:
    Understanding Personal Archives: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979795%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
    Understanding Exchange Online Archiving: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh529934(v=exchg.141).aspx

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 11, 2015 7:47 AM
  • Thanks all for your help so far!

I understand that the Managed Folder is displayed from the desired user mailbox BUT is there a possibility to have it displayed here BUT be pointing to lets a mailbox located in a different mailbox database for the purpose of using retention rules? This maybe a redundant question as per above but I am just trying to understand correctly on the capabilities of Exchange 2007 and how we can utilize these to suit our environmental needs with "Archiving".

Thursday, May 14, 2015 1:06 AM