none
Windows Defender and SCEP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello together

I will shortly describe our environment and ask my question.

We have:

- SCCM CB  Update 1802 

- Endpoint Protection (EP Policies etc.) 

- Clients: Windows 10 (1703, 1709, 1803) with Windows Defender, managed over SCCM EP

Question:

- do we still need SCEPInstall agent installed on the clients, to be able to manage Windows Defender over SCCM EP?

Or Windows Defender could be managed over SCCM Console without SCEPInstall Agent installed on the Client? I mean apply different EP policies, run weekly scans, show the EP information in dashboard, get and install the definitions from WSUS using ADR etc...

Why I am asking: there is an article:

"..Starting in Configuration Manager 1802, you don't need to install the Endpoint Protection agent (SCEPInstall) on Windows 10 devices…" 

Thank you very much for your opinion.

CMTRIPE

• Edited by cmtripe Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:56 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:53 AM

Answers

• > do we still need SCEPInstall agent installed on the clients, to be able to manage Windows Defender over SCCM EP?

The documentation you quoted above gives you your answer: no. The ConfigMgr agent itself is now able to directly communicate with Windows Defender for all necessary activities with no intermediate communication or management layer necessary.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Edited by Jason SandysMVP Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by cmtripe Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:28 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:47 PM

All replies

• > do we still need SCEPInstall agent installed on the clients, to be able to manage Windows Defender over SCCM EP?

The documentation you quoted above gives you your answer: no. The ConfigMgr agent itself is now able to directly communicate with Windows Defender for all necessary activities with no intermediate communication or management layer necessary.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Edited by Jason SandysMVP Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by cmtripe Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:28 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:47 PM
  • Thank you very much for this answer - I was not sure about management level in enterprise environment.

Have a nice day, Pencho

Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:33 AM