none
GPO Software installation failing

Question

• Good Day,

I have a very simple MSI file (Screwdrivers) that I am trying to deploy via GPO. The permissions to the network share have both Authenticated Users and Domain Computers have both read and write rights.

Yet the workstations fail to install with the error message below.

The install of application ScrewDrivers Client v4 x64 from policy Install Screw Drivers failed.  The error was : %%1612

thank you

Steve J.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 9:08 PM

Answers

• thank you all for commenting. I was able to get the msi (both 32 and 64 bit) to work via GPO by changing from a computer policy to a user policy and using the Basic vs Advanced options. No need for the Transform file either.

Steve J.

Sunday, April 19, 2015 4:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting.

Would you please help to confirm below items and we can narrow down the troubleshooting scope.

1. Check if this Group Policy has been applied when running “gpresult /v” on the client machines.

2. Check if the folder storing the MSI package can be manually accessed from the problematic client machines.

3. You may also create a new shared folder and put the MSI package for test.

4. Check if this issue occurs when applying another MSI package.

If the problem continues, please collect the following information:

Info 1: Please collect the MPSReport from Windows Server 2008 R2. ===============================================

1. Download proper MPS Report tool from the website below.

Microsoft Product Support Reports http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

2. Double-click to run it, if requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General", “Internet and Networking”, “Business Networks”, “Server Components”, click Next.

3. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results", choose a folder to save <Computername>MPSReports.cab file.

Info 2: Collect userenv.log and appmgmt.log files

================================ =================

Please find a client machine, then enable userenv.log and appmgmt.log on it and then reproduce this issue. For the detailed steps, please refer to this KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;246509

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;221833

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 17, 2015 8:14 AM
  • > via GPO. The permissions to the network share have both Authenticated
    > Users and Domain Computers have both read and write rights.

And what permissions are set on NTFS level?

> The install of application ScrewDrivers Client v4 x64 from policy
    > Install Screw Drivers failed.  The error was : %%1612

There is no guessing in this error code - msiexec cannot access the MSI
    file. To verify, grab a copy of Sysinternals' psexec, and on an affected
    system, run "psexec -s cmd" from an elevated command line.

Then try a simple "dir" command on the UNC path to your MSI.

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Friday, April 17, 2015 9:01 AM
  • So I followed your advice and ran psexec -s on the msi file and received the following message. By the way the MSI file is located on a network share and the permissions are correct (Domain Computers, Authenticated Users, and Domain users all have full access)

I also copied the folder and files to a folder on my c drive called MSI, set the permissions so that Domain computers, Authenticated Users all have full rights and still got the same message. There is a mst (transform file) that I created that also resides in this folder

Yet when I run msiexec /I the install /QN from the same command prompt the program installs. Maybe the problem lies in my transform file?

Steve J.

Friday, April 17, 2015 2:46 PM
  • Since my MSI will run with the /QN flags, Maybe I should just use a login script to install it? If I go this route, how can I specify a one install for 32 bit machines and another for 64 bit?

msiexec /I "\\server\shared\msi\screwdrivers client v4.msi"/qn

Steve J.

Friday, April 17, 2015 3:01 PM
  • > the following message. By the way the MSI file is located on a network
    > share and the permissions are correct (Domain Computers, Authenticated
    > Users, and Domain users all have full access)

psexec cannot run a msi file - simply run "psexec -s cmd" which will
    give you a prompt running as system, and from there do a dir on your
    share...

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Saturday, April 18, 2015 11:25 AM
  • > msiexec /I "\\server\shared\msi\screwdrivers client v4.msi"/qn

If you want to do it that way, I'd suggest using
    %processor_architecture% and rename the msi files accordingly. But
    remember that you cannot use a logon script, but must use a startup script.

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Saturday, April 18, 2015 11:26 AM
  • thank you all for commenting. I was able to get the msi (both 32 and 64 bit) to work via GPO by changing from a computer policy to a user policy and using the Basic vs Advanced options. No need for the Transform file either.

Steve J.

Sunday, April 19, 2015 4:47 PM