When Net Logon Service is started on domain joined PC - Internet VERY Slow! Specifically SSL Connections! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Windows 2003 domain running Windows 7 64bit Workstations.  They are joined to the domain and work great, except the internet seems to run a little slower and SSL connections barely load at all.  If I stop the Net Logon service the internet screams.  As soon as I start it again, the internet will barely load!!!

The only error I show in the Event Log is under system:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client
    Date:          7/20/2010 10:30:21 AM
    Event ID:      1014
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:     
    User:          NETWORK SERVICE
    Computer:      LUCAS-PC.ek.domain
    Description:
    Name resolution for the name isatap.ek.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

This is happening on every brand new Windows 7 HP workstation at my office, NOT just isolated to one.  I have 15 other XP machines joined to the same machine and they all work fine.

All windows / IE updates are done on both DC Server and Workstations.  Dcdiag Passed all tests on DC server. 

Here are the results of ipconfig /all on 7 Workstation:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LUCAS-PC
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : ek.domain
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ek.domain
                                           ek.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : ek.com
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-18-64-6E-AA
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.104(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:30:09 AM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:30:10 PM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.162
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.162
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.ek.com:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : ek.com
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

I could really use some advice.  Thank you so much for your time.

Lucas

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:39 PM

Answers

• SOLVED!  The problem was a little more specific than I first thought, it was not related to SSL, rather it was ANY site that required Authenticated Login such as ".htpasswd" or ".htaccess" style of sites.  By default Windows 7 IE8 tries to use a "domain:" even though you are logging onto a websiite, unless you specifically place "\" in front of the username. 

So if I do not type the username as "\username" for a password protected web site and just type "username" instead (like you would on an XP machine), the site will still authenticate, but run very slowly!!  I am not sure how this even works or why it would allow you to logon to a domain when your in IE on the web!  I would love some explanation even though this has been solved.

Thanks for all your help. :)

Lucas

• Marked as answer by Lucas Forrest Monday, July 26, 2010 6:36 PM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 6:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you update the BIOS and the network card drivers for these HP workstations first.

After that, please test the issue in Safe Mode with Networking and Clean Boot.

What are the results?

If the issue persists, you may use Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 to capture the log and upload it to SkyDrive for further research.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:42 AM
  • SOLVED!  The problem was a little more specific than I first thought, it was not related to SSL, rather it was ANY site that required Authenticated Login such as ".htpasswd" or ".htaccess" style of sites.  By default Windows 7 IE8 tries to use a "domain:" even though you are logging onto a websiite, unless you specifically place "\" in front of the username. 

So if I do not type the username as "\username" for a password protected web site and just type "username" instead (like you would on an XP machine), the site will still authenticate, but run very slowly!!  I am not sure how this even works or why it would allow you to logon to a domain when your in IE on the web!  I would love some explanation even though this has been solved.

Thanks for all your help. :)

Lucas

• Marked as answer by Lucas Forrest Monday, July 26, 2010 6:36 PM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 6:36 PM